henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I've been using Seachem Reef Salts for a few years now and I never had an issue with it. Recently I noticed that my PO4 level in my 120g tank increased. I haven't been feeding heavy and I always run GFO so I couldn't understand what was causing it. Something told me to test my RO/DI water and the newly mixed salt water in my mixing (brute) container. I found a PO4 level of 0.07. My RO water tested at 0.00.
I decided to do another test thinking maybe my brute container is leeching something. I mixed up a small amount of salt & RO water in a clean glass measuring cup and got a reading of 0.14. All tested with a Hanna digital checker. (new battery)

I contacted Seachem and told them about my findings and they said to send them 3 cups of my salt so that they can test it. They stated that there should be no PO4 in the salt because they test every batch. Also said if they find phosphates in my salt, they will reimburse me. Mailing out today.

I haven't done a water change to my tank in a week and my PO4 level is now down to 0.02. unreal.

Anyone else experience this?

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Sometimes that happens. I have heard of various salts containing phosphates when the company says they don't. Sometimes it's a bad batch. Only one way to tell. Try buying another batch of it and see what it tests at. Also make sure you label it as sea salt sample because you don't want anyone thinking you are shipping cocaine. lol The postal people get crazy. I was shipping a shirt to someone from ebay once and the lady was flipping cuz it was in a ruger box that said ammunition on it. She was like "is there bullets in here?!" I was like "the box weighs about 5 ounces lol there is no bullets in here, it's a shirt." She was like "you can't ship a package like that are you crazy?!" and made me cover up the writing w/ postal stickers. Not exactly the same but I would let them know whats in it so when they x ray it and see a bag of white powder they don't call the police on you. lol GL

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Sometimes that happens. I have heard of various salts containing phosphates when the company says they don't. Sometimes it's a bad batch. Only one way to tell. Try buying another batch of it and see what it tests at. Also make sure you label it as sea salt sample because you don't want anyone thinking you are shipping cocaine. lol The postal people get crazy. I was shipping a shirt to someone from ebay once and the lady was flipping cuz it was in a ruger box that said ammunition on it. She was like "is there bullets in here?!" I was like "the box weighs about 5 ounces lol there is no bullets in here, it's a shirt." She was like "you can't ship a package like that are you crazy?!" and made me cover up the writing w/ postal stickers. Not exactly the same but I would let them know whats in it so when they x ray it and see a bag of white powder they don't call the police on you. lol GL

Only you would mail a ruger box lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yes. What I tested was from a new 200g box of reef salt. I even mixing it in a sterile container. They would get hit with all types of refund request and order cancellations if they came out and said there salt contains phosphates..

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Just tested it again and got 0.08 P04.
Also just tested a new bucket of Microbe-Lift Reef Salt a got a reading of 0.00 P04.
(hanna phosphate checker)

I have a bucket of Red Sea Coral pro coming as well. Will test that to when I get it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: