SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm looking for a HOB skimmer that doesn't completely suck but won't break the bank. It's for a 29g reef tank (about 40g total system volume with fuge/sump.) Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks. :)

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The remora is the best cheap HOB skimmer you can get in my opinion. That being said there are much better models made by Deltec and Bermuda to name just 2 companies if you are willing to spend a little more. In this hobby Cheap can get you into trouble.

Orca1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I ran the Remora on my 37g cube for the past few months and I've been satisfied with it. Every 3 days I would get about a half to three quarters of an inch of skimmate. I had a Reef Octopus 800s HOB skimmer laying around and put that on about a week ago. I'm still adjusting the collection cup to find the sweet spot but I'm pulling out much darker & thicker skimmate than the Remora....but then again, the Octopus is "rated:rolleyes:" for up to a 135g tank. I'm having issues with bubbles though.

Both skimmers are a little loud IMO. A good friend of mine has the Deltec MCE600 and it runs nearly silent.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'm going to agree with the Warner Marine and Deltec suggestions, if you have the cash. If not, go for a Tunze Nano 9002. It's an inexpensive option. I'd stay away from the Remoras. They're loud and ineffective, in my personal experience.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What are you planning on keeping? I have a 2 year old 29 gallon "garden reef" and I've never used a skimmer. The tank has calustrea, montiporas (caps, encrusting and digitata), zoas, frogspawn, gorgonia and others species.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I had the remora and was very pleased with the performance. The Tunze Doc 9002 is either an in tank or an in sump skimmer and not hang on back. I am currently using this and I like it's performance as well but to have it's body smack dab inside my tank would drive me crazy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: