EyeCatchingCoral

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are looking to add several new holding tanks. Does anyone know where we can find these raceway type tanks? Are there any other good solutions? We want to get nice ones that will last but also do not want to overpay.

Here are two pictures we came across from two retail venders in Texas.

facility_img1.jpg

ec4.jpg

Thanks so much,
Jim

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who used a similar system at his shop. But I believe the vats needed plywood skins to keep from bowing. Have you looked at growshops yet? There are flood tables that might work. Also Aquatic Ecosystems has stuff like that iirc.

theglassocean

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EyeCatchingCoral":1j8mordy said:
We are looking to add several new holding tanks. Does anyone know where we can find these raceway type tanks? Are there any other good solutions? We want to get nice ones that will last but also do not want to overpay.

Here are two pictures we came across from two retail venders in Texas.

facility_img1.jpg

ec4.jpg

Thanks so much,
Jim
Those look like were made out of PVC sheet. I see that they are using 2x4's to support them popping too far out. I buy 4x8 sheets locally for about $75 each. They cut and assemble pretty easy. Here are a few I made a few weeks ago. I just add cross braces and dont make them too deep so there is no problem with bowing.
DSC02709.JPG

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many live stock wholesalers are consolidating to cut expenses or even going out of business completely. I would check with your supplier to see if they have one available for sale.

PeterIMA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is quite apparent that the tanks illustrated are constructed out of wood (not fiberglass or plastic), some people reading this may not be aware that it is possible to purchase plywood that has plastic sheeting attached to the wood. While this sheeting is more expensive than regular marine plywood, it has the advantage that it is waterproof.

When, I did a Post-doc at Boston University, we used this type or sheeting to construct holding tanks for fish and for turtles. Once the tank is assembled, it is only necessary to seal the corners (although painting the interior with marine epoxy is also a good idea).

One still needs to contruct the tanks to take into account the weight of water contained. With deeper and/or longer tanks tanks a steel angle-iron frame is recommended. One can see cross-braces in the photos that can also be used to keep the tank walls from bowing out.
Peter

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic shops should have them;Google 'Paragon plastics' to see if there is one in your area. BTW does anyone know if $750 is a good price for a new 8'x4x'3' figerglass tank?

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a 2000 gallon system (if I remember correctly) that I need to get rid of. I have fiberglass tubs that are about 3'x3' (maybe a little bigger), some acrylic cubicle holding tanks, reservoir tanks, o2 tank, clip machine, big skimmer, light fixtures, big pump, etc.... Email me at mary @ rebmarreef.com if you're interested. It's in Los Angeles.

tgfrench

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STAY AWAY FROM PVC SHEET TANKS! if your going to try to grow coral in them. Fish Ok, but NEVER! corals. I tried using pvc sheeting and tubing to build a system. After a year of scratching my head, why I couldn't grow coral, I finally came to conclusion that the pvc was LEACHING something into the water. Since I have finished removing all pvc sheeting in any form my corals have began to recover and grow.

theglassocean

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STAY AWAY FROM PVC SHEET TANKS! if your going to try to grow coral in them. Fish Ok, but NEVER! corals. I tried using pvc sheeting and tubing to build a system. After a year of scratching my head, why I couldn't grow coral, I finally came to conclusion that the pvc was LEACHING something into the water. Since I have finished removing all pvc sheeting in any form my corals have began to recover and grow.

I do not believe that at all. I've used these set-ups for years and actually had some of the best growth ever on corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: