Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is a monster. I never thought it would be so big.(Thats what she said)
icon_eek.gif

How hot does the ballast get? and where do you guys keep them?

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a PFO?

I keep my PFO on the floor behind the tank. It gets hot to the touch, but not hot enough to burn anyting. I have mine on the carpet.

-Nathan

KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also keep my PFOs behind my tank (two dual 400 setups). I take the added precaution of putting them up on a couple of 2x4's to get max air circulation around them and to prevent directly sitting on the carpet. I don't think this is really necessary, but can't hurt since they do get fairly warm in operation.

--- Ken

slojmn1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those suckers are pretty big huh? I have mine located in a closet right behind the tank on a piece of plywood. I like the idea of the 2x4 blocks though for the added circulation, hmmmm.....

reeferguy1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our's is a Hamilton and it is very big also as is the VHO ballast from Hamilton.It gets pretty warm but not to ad at all.It is sitting on the floor under the stand.
Good Luck (that is a great lighting)
icon_cool.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 400W MH are hanged like a pendant. So naturally, the ballast (yes, they are BIG) are bolted down to a 4x4 in the attic.

Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, do you think putting it under the tank in the stand is a bad idea? and how high above the tank are your 400watters./

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bad idea to have it in your stand under your tank. Many people have trouble keeping their tank cool enough, and a very hot ballast under your tank will act as a nice heater, but I don't think that's what you want.

-Nathan

reeferguy1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 120 Oceanic with 2-400 w/2-110 VHO has both ballast under the stand along with the refugium which has a 65w PC lighting it.The unit is a hamilton hood with two 4" fans inside the hood.The tank runs at 79' to 80'and we are in Texas(hit our first 100 'day today).I wish we could have put the ballast in a remote location, but being a display in a store we didnt have much choice.We bought a chiller when we set the tank up,but with it running as cool as it is there is no reason to hook it up.(not that we have the room under there with those huge ballast and 50 gal refugium)hehe
Just my 2 cents
Laterss reeferguy
icon_biggrin.gif

Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 month old son who will start moving around pretty soon so I think I will have no choice but to put it under the tank. The stand is 36" tall and 78" long, all return pumps will be in the basement so no additionall heat will be with it. What if I put a 6" oscilatting fan to blow the air around?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toyfreek, how did you mount this 30 pound beast?
The wires are only 8feet long. Does anyone know where to get extension cords for the sockets?

HenTer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine underneath the stand which is 72" in length and so far have no problems with it. In fact they are stacked up on top of each other using a red brick. They get a little hot and as long as the back of your stand is open then it should be OK. My only equipment that is outside the stand is the chiller and all pumps and calcium reactor and top off water are inside the stand. I like it this way cause it's neat looking. Although using a fan inside the stand like you said is also an option. Mine's been set up for 2 years now and also note that I'm using a chiller. HTH.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: