underworld@hvrk

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
looking into building a hood for my tank-I already have plans for the hood-but nobody really states what kind of wood to use?what type of paint?glue? any help would be great guys/gals thanks in advance!

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Wood depends on your plan. I've built hoods from 3/4" ply (they're heavy) 1/4"ply with a plywood frame, and 1/2" ply with a 1x2 frame.

It also depends on what you want the finished piece to look like. if you're going to paint it, just get some good plywood that has a smooth surface. if you're going to stain it get whatever hardwood matches your stand and then stain and poly it.

I use tightbond II wood glue. But any kind of glue that's weatherproof/exterior grade will do.

hth.
B

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i built mine from 3/4" maple-faced ply. it's heavy but it's only for a 30 cube, so manageable. i stained and then polyurethaned the exterior and painted the inside with epoxy appliance paint. i have some construction pix in my tank thread; it is a very basic design

T

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: