liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOT TIPS Column: June 2005 Issue of Advanced Aquarist

June's theme is "Water Purification." Please submit any tips you might have for selecting the proper RO/DI system, maintenance of it, alternative purification methods you've found, etc. Your tips and tricks will help new and existing reefkeepers and also helps to bring the hobby to the next level (plus it's just cool to get published in a magazine like Advanced Aquarist). :P

When published, your hot tip will have your username published (along with your real name if you so desire). Every month we will be running a new HOT TIP thread so stay tuned and help out when you can. :)

The staff at both Reefs.org and Advanced Aquarist would like to thank you for your continued interest and support of our online community, magazine, and services.

Let the submissions begin! :D

Best regards,

Reefs.org and Advanced Aquarist staff

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks are maintained with plant life. All of them for the last 28 years, For my current reef that means macro algaes.

sediener

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a DI to your RO unit. Even with 1-2 TDS coming out of the RO you can still have all sorts of undesireables making it through.

ZooKeeper1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the highest gpd unit you can afford. More gpd means more RO membrane. More membrane means longer life for the filter.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean your water storage containers with a water/bleach mixture. Rinse well with freshwater and allow them to dry completely before refilling with purified water. There isn't much point in putting RO/DI water with a zero TDS reading in a container that isn't completely clean.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get an RO membrane rated for more than 75gpd for household use. The pore size on those membranes is too large and it lets too many contaminants through.

Use a pressure gauge to check your sediment and carbon filters for clogging. If the carbon isn't working the chlorine will destroy your RO membrane.

Never add the solids in limewater to the tank, that's where any residual heavy metals will end up. This also means that limewater will remove heavy metals when used properly.

Get a good TDS meter for your RO/DI water and use it!

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting up a new and large tank (100g+?) use a household point of use filter (Pur, Brita) to filter the water. Add your mix, live rock (to cure) and run carbon, and a PO4 remover 24/7 untill cycled. Water ends up as good as RO and you didn't have to wait 8 days while your RO filter made 320 gallons of water

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two sediment filters. and a tfc membrane rated for 125gpd. Get clear canisters so you have a visual of the sediment filters as they age. locate a good place to stock up on filters and do so. I usually buy a years worth of filters at a time.

clean you storage tanks. and if you have a speerate salt tank. you need to have a powerhead in the tnak to stir the water. set it up on a timer and run it twice a day for 25mins.

always use a shut off device.

oh yeah one more thing.. it is always five o-clock somewhere.... he he he

i am on 5day off stretch... it is 5 o-clock all day :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy a ro/di unit that comes with a pressure gauge and tds meter.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: