A

Anonymous

I'm curious to know how many people actually keep their reef in an acrylic tank? By reef, I mean, mainly corals with live rocks and sand.
I have a really nice setup but I've thought about selling it because it's acrylic. Do they all warp? Mine kinda does on the top and kinda bows out a bit on the sides. I've been keeping freshwater fish (discus) in it without any problems, but I'd like to move on to reef now.

A

Anonymous

Mine does the same, warping kinda from the water in the system. It it was thicker acrylic, it wouldn't do that, if not just a little.

My only complaint is the difficulty to get in to clean the acrylic, and the cleaning of the acrylic. You have to be real careful about getting the coraline off. It's a pain.

Next tank, oceanic reef ready with Starphire glass on the front.

Keith

------------------
Visit Keith's Reef

A

Anonymous

Do you just clean the sides of the tank or the back also?? Does the coralline algae eat away the acrylic walls due to calcification?

A

Anonymous

I've kept my reef in a Clarity 125 for 8+ years with no problems - it looks like the day I bought it.

Cleaning corraline off the front is only hard when I let it go for a while. Since that is caused by my choice, I don't blame the tank.

I'm moving up to a larger tank next year and it will be acrylic.

A

Anonymous

I prefer glass tanks. On my reefs, coralline algae was growing at a rate that was even a pain to keep off a glass tank. A sharp razorblade makes short work of algae - on a glass tank.

Regards,

Scott

A

Anonymous

i would never get an acrylic tank after what happened to john rices' 450 gallon tank. go check it out on his home page at http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/index.html

its under the oddities link at the bottom of his page.

this might change all your minds about acrylic tanks.

oh well just my 2 cents worth.

A

Anonymous

I just like the fact that I can scrape my glass tank w/ a razor blade. Makes glass cleaning a breeze.

I have had both glass and acrylic tanks.

Glass tanks are not as "clear" as they give the light passing through them a green tint. This is not the case w/ expensive starphire glass.

That's about it.
James

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

A

Anonymous

Use an old canceled credit card (or one of those free ones you get in junk mail)to scrape coralline off of acrylic. Very effective, easy and no scratches.
On same topic...

Any acrylic tank owners have hazeing?

I would describe this as small scratches in the material itself and visible at an angle perspective. I don't have this on my tru vu tank that is over ten years old but I have been used tank shopping for a friend and I have noticed several acrylic tanks with it. I suspect this may be caused by using windex or similar glass cleaner with ammonia to clean the acrylic. I only use a wet and dry paper towel and ocassionally polish with a dedicated chamois and novus acrylic polish. Only scratches are on inside from handleing LR, etc.

------------------

A

Anonymous

My friend has a truvu 55 gal tank, it bows out badly, its about 6 yrs old but I also noticed that it has small "cracks" I guess you could say. It looks like what happens to plastic when it gets very old and dry. Im trying to decide which to get glass or plexi. do all plexiglass tanks eventually get this way? Is it possible to rub out any scratches inside and out?

A

Anonymous

I chose acrylic for several reasons.

1. I live in California. I know earthquakes are infrequent, but glass tanks are useless when they do.

2. The thermal insulation properties. The temperature can swing from 100 during the day and then down to 50 at night. The acrylic helps to keep a more stable temperature.

3. Weight. My current system is only 55 gallons, but I wanted to move it into my apartment all by myself. I also did not want to put any more strain on the floor than I had to.

4. Ease of drilling. I drilled several holes at the top for my water returns. Glass is a pain to drill and the drill-bits are sooo expensinve.

5. Resale value. I can sell the acrylic for alot more than the glass tank. In California, you can't give glass tanks away.

If I lived in a part of the country that does not have earthquakes, and where I had a basement with a thick subfloor, I would buy a glass tank. Unfortunately I live in CA where basements are rarer than a polite motorist and earthquakes will crack a glass tank in 5 seconds.

Oh, check out the Kent 1.5" pro scraper for getting rid of coraline on your acrylic tank. It takes me only 5 minutes to get rid of everything off of my 55 gallon tank. It only cost around $3.50 and has replacement blades for $1.50.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Mine bows about 1cm on the sides. Mainly cuz it's a high show tank (30" tall). I also have metal halide lighting but with a fan. I dont' know if the heat will create more warping on the top....all in all...at least it doesn't come apart at the seams like glass tanks do. That I like. Oh and I"m going to drill my tank for the installation of a sump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: