DragonFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things in my tank are not looking all that well as of late. My mushrooms are continuing to decline, but not all, just certain colors. The only parameter that I'm not testing for is Alk and all the others are perfectly within acceptable limits. My button polyps are also doing fine. My PH has been a rock solid 8.2ish and I have nice corraline coverage so I never thought I had an alk problem, but regardless could this be a possible cause? I'd like to add a bubble coral as the tank has been up for a little over 4 months, but i'm not about to put a coral into my tank if there is any chance of harm to it. Tanks all!

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonfish--your dosing schedule doesn't tell us anything about your biomineral levels. If you don't have test kits for Ca and alkalinity, get some. Otherwise it's like driving blindfolded to know what your tank needs or whether your supplementation is achieving the desired results.

DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be wise to stop the iodine supplementation and simply rely on regular water changes to replenish it.

In fact water changes right now may be helpful...

HTH,

Ed
icon_smile.gif

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a calcium and alkalinity kit and test your parameters. If they're above 500 ppm calcium or 12 dKH alkalinity, then I'd do a big waterchange as over these threshholds things can and will get pissed eventually. Actually, I'd recommend a waterchange anyhow. Do you have an iodine test kit? If not, stop adding iodine. Don't add anything to your tank that you don't test for on a regular basis. I have never seen *conclusive* proof that you need to dose iodine anyhow.

Until you test your calcium and alkalinity levels and report back to us, we can't help you any further than recommending a 25% waterchange...

hth

liquid

DragonFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, considering the original idea of this post was to help me decide if I should start testing for Alk I'd say it did the job. I'll get back in a couple days when I get some kits. Tanks all!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to maintain the cool Dragon
icon_biggrin.gif
.Good idea to get the kits, there are many that use alk as the primary test, with Ca a close second.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many softies still use calcification to form calcareous "needles" within their tissues, which allows them to have enough rigidity to stand up straight. While they don't consume nearly as much biomineral as SPS or LPS, they still have the same requirements as far as levels go. They just don't deplete the levels as quickly as other types of livestock.

DragonFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank in question is an Eclipse 29gal without the filter pad. Lights are 65W PC, less than 2 months old.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: >5
Ph: 8.2ish
Temp: 79-80
Additives: 10 drops Kent iodine once a week, Kent liquid calcium as directed, Kent trace elements as directed

I don't think I missed anything. HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: