EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
:bagfish:how long can a coral be bagged for? I'm wondering because I wanted to bring my torch to the swap, but I'm going straight from my aunt's house. This means the coral would be bagged sometime saturday afternoon. I dont want to risk killing it. Thanks!

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Emily, if you are bringing the coral so it can be fragged in order to donate a few heads to MR (your other thread indicates this), I wouldn't bother. The sentiment is truly appreciated, but don't risk your colony in order to do so. I'm just speaking for myself here, but I think most will agree.

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Though generally more than a day is not the best idea if you don't have stabile conditions(especially temp), corals can often live for a few days in the bags. I've unpacked shipments that were packed 2 days earlier in the South Pacific that got offloaded at another island and sent back, and 75% of the stuff looked like it did when it went in the bags. It is important to float certain corals like Euphyllias to prevent the skeleton from ripping the flesh. Other corals with bony skeletons such as scolymias & cynarinas can be packed wrapped with another bag rubberbanded around them to prevent bag burn. Some corals such as zoanthids do best packed in wet paper towels.

SPS and slimy soft corals (xenias, sinularia, sarcophyton, etc.) seem to be the worst at handling being held in a bag for that long.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
ET, I'm with Randy. There are usually more donations than people even want to buy. Most reefers donate because their tanks are too full or certain pieces are getting too big. I am sure your tank will be busting at the seams in no time!

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
my intentions were to get rid of the torch and get a frogspawn instead for my clown. I understand theres too many donations so I guess I can just sell it as a whole, but I would really like to get rid of it.
joetbs- what do you mean by floating a coral? do you double bag it with water in both bags?

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
one more question: if i stick it in styrofoam won't it slip out easily? what can i do to prevent it from slipping and crashing face down to the bottom of the bag? :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: