• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

lawmary

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, I have been using the B-IonicCalcium Buffer System for several months now and I have been having great coraline algae growth in my reef tank, which is now about 1 1/2 years going. I've read many of your articles on reef chemistry and most recently your article on calcium and alkalinity (the "recipe" one). I can't say that I follow everything but I get the gist that this is a very closely related and complex relationship.

I have a 104 gallon tank with another 20 gls in a refugium w/ live sand and algae and a sump with 16 gallons of water, with displacement by 100 lbs. of live rock in the main tank and sump, as well as equipment in the sump. I do not (yet) measure magnesium, which I see may need to be done, and I am planning to get a test kit.

I started out adding 25 ml of each component a day, the #1 in the morning and the #2 in the evening, but my alkalinity level was too low (7 dKH) and I have started adding more of the #1 component to raise the alkalinity which is now around 9dKH.

Because I am concerned about adding too much at one time, I have been adding 25ml 2 or 3 times a day, but I am not home enough to do it regularly. Sometimes I skip the #2 component because I don't want to add it at the same time as adding the #1.

My question is, how much of each component of the B-Ionic can I safely add into my sump at one time.

Also, if you could recommend a magnesium test kit and a magnesium additive, that would be great too. Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: