jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I just got a Solana tank off of a fellow MR member. What was supposed to be a temporary holding tank for my livestock while I moved my main setup is quickly turning into a full blown tank in the middle of my kitchen :tongue1:

so since it looks like the solana is here to stay, i wanted to run a question by you guys...

Currently there are three pumps in the rear chambers of the solana. One for the POS stock skimmer (which is gone as soon as my new collection cup for the Tunze 9002 arrives), another for the chiller, and a third for the return.

I was fiddling around the other day and came up with an idea to reduce the number of pumps in the rear of the tank...

The plan is to ditch the pump that feeds the chiller, and instead use the maxi1200 that is currently pushing the return to feed first into the chiller, and then have the output from the chiller go directly into the return nozzles (the lockline things).

Conviently the return nozzles, the maxi, and the chiller all use the same size tubing, so this seems to be a match made in heaven ;) Flow-wise i should be ok, but I just wanted to see if anybody has a reason that I should not do this...

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Are you running the chiller year round? Is this necessary due to the heat from those pumps?
My concern would be that you are pumping cool water directly toward your fish & coral without the benefit of it mixing with 'warmer' water first.
Any way to add additional fans and eliminate the use of the chiller entirely over the cooler months?

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Hey Kathy,

As I just got the tank I am not sure if I will be running the chiller year round. However, as it is running at about 81 right now, i think its a safe bet that I will need it full time.

I was running some Azoo fans on it, but i have to constantly add topoff water which is irritating me, so I put the glass cover on the thing, and plumbed in the chiller. It really cuts down on evaporation, and i dont worry about crap from the kitchen getting into my tank...

Also, I tend to agree that blasting cold water right into the display isnt a great idea, but i figure that by bouncing the flow off the glass I can maybe get away with it....

Are you running the chiller year round? Is this necessary due to the heat from those pumps?
My concern would be that you are pumping cool water directly toward your fish & coral without the benefit of it mixing with 'warmer' water first.
Any way to add additional fans and eliminate the use of the chiller entirely over the cooler months?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Not being familiar with your chiller a word of caution. Chillers have minimum requirements for gallons per hour of flow. To slow of a flow and you can permanently damage the chiller.

That being said, I have my chiller plumbed into my tank in a similar fashion, but on a much larger scale. My chiller is partially plumbed into the return from my sump. Although it pumps cool water directly into my display tank (without any obvious problems) it has a significant amount of water in the diplay tank to mix with (220 gallon display).

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
the chiller is actually running at the same level as the pump, and only through about 18 inches of tubing on either end. total vertical height (including both input and output tubing) is about a foot...

also, how would i independently verify the gph of a powerhead??

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
A Mj 1200 Isnt Going To Be Enough To Run Any Chiller Properly, A 10th Hp Requires Around 600-900 Gph, And By The Time Even With Onlu 18" X 2 Of Line Plus Distance Through The Chiller Lets Say You Have 4 Ft It Has To Travel, Would Put The Mj On A High Note Of 250gph, Yes You Can Just Hook It To The Return Coming Out, I Do Believe With The Lower Flow It Will Cause The Chiller To Stay On More Or Come On More Often Though

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Hi ReefNoob,

thanks for the input. the chiller is 1/15 hp and has a minimum flow of 300 gph. by my rough calculations i thought i would be ok with it, but given the responses here maybe i should up the gph of the pump.. i think its 5/8" tubing on the maxi but i am not sure.

do you know if any other maxijets have the same output diameter?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: