itsaNYthing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
started doing hyposalinity in my tank (no corals yet) to get rid of an ich break out, my salinity is at 1.012, my fish look stressed, is that normal till the adjust? and how long should i do hyposalinity for?

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well how quick did u bring it down? Talk to marrone he knows the hyposalinity method well.

xxfirewaterxx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
221   0   0
some info

ItsaNYthing.....
Fish can tolerate the low salinity( ex-fresh water baths).
When dropping the salinty hopefully the temperature stayed close to your normal range. Sudden drops of temp will stress your fish
After making adjustments in lowering your salinity did you check your ph?
Not sure how you handled everything so im just adding what I did when going through this. Usually 3-4 weeks you should see improvment. There are other ways to go about treating your main Tank, this is if you have no QT tanks. Hope this helps, and goodluck.

Ps: Make sure your water parameters are good, you will be the only one to see it........so if its not the fish will continue to be stressed.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You're bring it down correctly but you need to bring it down below 1.009, try keeping it in the 1.007-.0008 range. Once there leave it there for 4-6 weeks. As mention above check you Ph, it can go low as you bring it down. Try and keep it in the 7.8-8.0 range. What will help is keeping the light on or a light near the tank. This will help keep the Ph up and keep the fish active, which gives them a better chance of fighting off the ich.

Also remove any Inverts, they can't take the SG at that level and will die.

Last edited:

itsaNYthing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
update: dropped salinity to 1.10, fish seem really happy now, im also using garlic extreme in there mysis shrimp to toughen them up a bit.

i just got my LED'S in and damn now i gota wait a month before i put any corals in, the anticipation sucks.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
that sounds like a fast drop in salinity, for hyposalinity you usually keep it between 13 and 16. anything lower is a little dangerous, ive had a tank with the salinity around 16 for about 6 years and no problem

itsaNYthing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
that sounds like a fast drop in salinity, for hyposalinity you usually keep it between 13 and 16. anything lower is a little dangerous, ive had a tank with the salinity around 16 for about 6 years and no problem

the fish look pretty happy now, and ive read multiple things about being and 1010, and spoke to multiple people and they say 1.10 is fine for hyposalinity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: