rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I have found these on the bottom side of a Chalice. I do not know where the chalice is from.

The shell/skeleton looks like a barnacle(see left side of picture), or perhaps a small tube worm. The tentacles look like a tiny clear Dendro.
IMG_1609.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I am not seeing a shell thing..? If it is a live barnacle, it would have a little 'fan' structure that goes in & out to capture food from the water column.

That might be a dendro that hasn't seen any light in a while. Can you chip off that corner of the rock and turn it right side up and see what it turns out to be? If not a dendro, the it would alos make it easier to dispose of f it is a bad hitch-hiker.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i got few of those on piece of lr not too long ago at first i thought it was mojano but they def not so i curious what they are too.. the dont like too much light when my mh are on they no were to be seen but the t5 or my moonlight they put out there tentecles

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I dont think you are right Deanos...here is why.
My tank runs around 80 degrees. That coralimorph likes cool water...I dont think they would do well in 80 degree water.
2nd, the base or skeleton is white, and looks just like a tiny coco worm and the tentacles themselfs are clear with tiny green tips.

3rd, not great evidence, but, these where found on the bottom side of a chalice, which I know does not come from a cold water reef( I suppose it is possible these corallimoprhs attached to the chalice in a tank, and not in the wild.

Kathyc: I can not chip off that corner of the rock.....but I could prob cut them at the base, if that would work.

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Read the entire article :shhh:

Excerpts:
This is truly an amazing animal that will be a great addition to your cold water aquarium. Only a few relatives of this group live in warmer waters.

As I guessed earlier, it may be a relative :)

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
my girlfriends brother has ALOT of them all over his rock he got off ebay and let me say there getting big! around the size of a quarter already. they eat frozen foods as well. no color what so ever though. ill add a pic on here when i stop at his house, but they are exactally what those are in your first pic!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathyc: I was able to remove 2 of the polyps and place them on a plug. This will allow me to easily observe these creatures, and even do a few spot feedings.
Cool :)
Assuming you put them in a part of thr tank with lower light since they haven't benn in much to date, don't want to fry them :bigeyes:

Please do keep up updated on these guys!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: