Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After 5 months, my growth seems incredible to me, but is this normal? There's all kinds of critters about. A colony of mushrooms, some young fry, tube worms, sea squirts, coralline algae growing all over. Coralline algae growing on new shells just in 1 month. My chemistry seems fine with monthly water changes. Fish(20) are fat and healthy. Most corals are growing, but some have been bleached-out by the LEDS, I guess.
Thanks in advance for your replys.

ESSELO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
five months is very little time in the world of reef tanks. I am always surprised at the progress and growth when you put time, work and thoughtfulness in. Your question is, is it normal? Everything you mentioned seems ok less the bleached corals, that is a problem. I would try to determine exactly why that was happening and is it improving or getting worse. What are the specs of your tank and equipment?

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for your reply, I have a 180 gal. W/60 gal. Sump. Over-flows in each corner, Orbit LEDS, Reef Octo 250 gal. Sump is split between main area w/ChemiPure and Skimmer, Refuge, and pump area. There's 3-6" of live sand and Bemuda pink in the display and 5" of sand and mud in Refuge. There's 85 lbs. of Live Rock. Temp. Is 78-79. Chemistry seems OK.
I've removed 2 sets of lights and placed bleached corals away from direct light. It seems to be making a difference for the better. I also have been adding coral "Fuel" solution. I'm not sure this additive is the answer.
The amount of new life I see weekly is incredible! Along with a Mushroom colony, I seem to have some type of fry swimming about. There's now tube worms growing here and there.
I had a tank 30 years ago, things were very different, I'm still trying to catch up. Really wondering if all this growth is normal, it never was years ago.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: