• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I was thinking about experimenting with a 50 gallon breeder tank. I want to tie/or glue some eggcrate together in layers. it would be about 10 inches high and 8x8 square. This would sort of act as an in the tank algae scrubber. I would allow algae to grow on it. My question is....Do ya think that when the lights are out at night..Carbon Dioxide would spike to high.

A

Anonymous

Where is the CO2 coming from? Algae don't generate much CO2 during the "dark" period of the photosynethic cycle...

A

Anonymous

David Magen":2paokuq9 said:
Where is the CO2 coming from? Algae don't generate much CO2 during the "dark" period of the photosynethic cycle...

Yep.....from the algae.

A

Anonymous

Yes..I guess so..I have found that all the tanks I have had that were without problems had a significant population of green algae that took up the nitrates. I rarely had to do water changes.

A

Anonymous

nitrate export is one of the accomplishments of water change, but this is only part of the picture. All in all, there is no good substitute for water change, even if you have algae scrubber in good working order.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: