ggoodrich

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 75g FOWLR system. It will have approx. 120lbs of live rock. Right now I have a shallow substrate layer, about 1/2" - 1" coralife aragonite (about 1-2mm, some pieces larger). I am running a Euro-Reef 5-3 skimmer, 24gal sump (about 12-14g water in it). My tank is in the early cycling process (still adding 30lbs more LR tomorrow) and I'm still debating whether or not to go with a DSB (approx 4" from what I've read for this size substrate). Will "normal" water changes along with the LR be adequate to keep nitrates under control, or will I ultimately wish to have a DSB to aid in the breakdown of the nitrates? I have no bio-filtration (bio-balls, wheel, etc).

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not neccessary and I know many tanks, past and present, that do well without a 4"+ sandbed. However, I've found that tanks with a DSB work out better. Water changes can help dilute nitrate levels and LR will perform some denitrification deep within, but none of these really compare with the benefits of a healthy DSB in my opinion. It's up to you, but I personally recommend it, if only a 2.5-3" sandbed.

ggoodrich

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much for the quick reply. So, you think that even though my substrate is not the consistency of fine sugar that a 3" layer would work? Or should I go a bit deeper? I'm still not certain whether or not I'll do it, but I'm really trying to be well informed and do things the right way as much as possible.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is a DSB a worry for bad bacteria...Im talking tank wipe out. Due to a lack of oxygen in the deeper bed, "bad" bacteria will grow, if disturbed, releasing a noxious gas that can wipe a tank????

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself use no more than 3 inches..... and in the tank I just set up I plan to go only 1 inch of southdown. The tank looks more natural. Your liverock and skimmer will be all the filtration you need. Just keep an "eye" on your Nitrates and do waterchanges as needed.

ggoodrich

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll go with a "shallow" bed for now and see how that works out. I won't have to worry about "isolating" the deep layers that way. Thanks for the info!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a two inch sand bed in my 20 gal...

hey bangbang, my condolences on the snowflake :cry:
and btw, i was born in rochester mi, and lived in lake orion for a couple years..(i was very young..) just thought id stupify with that :D

8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: