pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi,

I've had my tank for a while now. I have a toadstool coral and couple of anemones in the tank since i started. I want to add more corals but I don't want to upgrade my light (broke and gonna be broke for a while). Right now, i have 260W CF light with 4 bulbs. And everything seem to be fine.

Let me know what kind of corals I should get? I need something that requires low light and hardy. I don't really like branch corals. I like stuff like mushrooms and zoas.

Tanks for the help!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
A pic would be great since you're still a beginner. I don't believe its impossible to have a healthy anemone with CF only, but it isn't always the case and some people believe their dying anemone is healthy.

A side note: technically, mushrooms are a type of anemone
so is aiptasia

pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Maybe you guys are right... it seems like it is loosing its tentacles over time.

Attachments

• IMG_3919.jpg
    IMG_3919.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5607.jpg
    IMG_5607.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 80

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I agree, that looks like it needs some help.

It has moved a lot because it is trying to find a bright spot. Failing that it has given up and stayed where it is.

The answer to your trouble is to get at minimum a HO T5 or a metal halide light and feed the nem until the color comes back. If you decide to keep your current light then it will be a good idea to pass this on to someone who can bring it back.

If you do get a new light then feed the nem fresh seafood, fish or shrimp diced into 1/2" cubes soaked in selcon.

From Drs Foster and Smith website;
The only aquarium food booster to feature Omega-3 fatty acids in a concentration suitable for the serious saltwater aquarist. Also contains Vitamin B12 and stabilized Vitamin C to enhance immune system function to prevent and reverse disease. Soak any freeze-dried or frozen food or feed Selcon to live brine shrimp to improve their nutritional quality. It can also be used directly in reef aquariums to benefit filter-feeding invertebrates. Treats 6,000 gallons. For marine use only.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5009

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: