shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well south eastern MI was blasted with a ice storm on friday and the power was lost. Well here it is Wend the next week and still no power. I tried as hard as one possibly could to keep all hope alive... well to get to the point, the only thing left in my tank is the sand. Everything has died :cry: . I did however manage to save a few corals and take them to my LFS. Well if the power ever comes back on I think I am going to do a FOWLR and skimmer. I am so pissed :evil: . I am a poor college student who had a hobby and now have very little if no resources (i.e. money) left to start back up anytime soon.
Sorry just had to vent.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun, I can't believe that happened. Very sorry. Thats a nice reseeding effort from Blue and with another go at it you will be armed with hindsight.

This event makes me want to plan for this event in the future. this means to me that a couple marine 12vdc boat batteries ($40 per battery) could sustain at least the bare workings of a system for quite some time. Shaun did you say its been days? Man, I wouldnt know how to deal with that one. But at least there would be some level of stored juice to run the heater and powerhead.

Two 12vdc marine deep cycle batteries wired correctly should run a small heater and small powerhead for at least two-three days right? This $80 investment might be a nice thing to have handy for aquarium use. Sorry for your reef loss, at least its inevitable that what you've learned from it only makes the next one you build better.

B

wetworx101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy crap!! Besides my three reef tanks I have a vat of 1800 baby calvus cichlids, many other tanks full of thousands of dollars of fish.... man if my power ever went out...MY HOUSE WOULD STINK LIKE A DEAD CORPSE!!!

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue , Wow, thank you for the offer that is an incredibly nice gesture. I couldn't possibly ask that of you or anyone. I think I may just take a step back and then set up a nice liite Fish only. Living in MI I never know what kind of whether is next so I am a little hesitant to start another reef until I can I know I am prepared for the worst.
Brandon, thanks for the advice. I have been thinking about what one should do in case this happens again and I may do some research and make myself a small emergency kit. And as far as hindsight... I believe it would take no time to start to rebuild after what I've learned, so I guess knowledge is power :P .
LOL @ wetworx.
You know, it could have been alot worse I know people who lost their 90 gallons, so I can't complain all that much I just needed to vent to whom ever would listen and what better place than here.
Thanks everyone.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: