• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
The Rainbow Sunburst Monti frag is an itty-bitty, tiny little bugger...here it is acclimating...
rainbow-sunburst-frag.jpg

...but with a little TLC and good lighting this is what it will look like when it grows up!

sunburst-montipora.jpg

sunburst-montipora-2.jpg

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
That monti needs to be on the bottom of the tank with bright lighting and high flow just to help you out a bit on the road to coloring it up.. I got a piece last month for a client.. It's almost colored up

Thanks Bob! I have a pair 250w DE MH bulbs (Giesemann Megachrome Blue - 21,000k) with 260w of PC actinics and my tank is approx 24 inches deep. Will the bottom still be bright enough with this sort of set up?

Robin

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
hey any updates on how the frag looks? At work surfing the forums and this caught my eye thanks

It's colored up very nicely, but seems be a slow grower and hasn't even covered the frag plug yet. I have to test my phosphate levels to be sure there's nothing inhibiting clacification.

I have it on the sand bed about 30" away from a light fixture with a pair of 20k 250w MH plus a pair of 160w PC Actinics. It isn't even directly inder one of the MH bulbs and the polyps are a brilliant red. I'll try to get an updated pic posted today.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
It has grow to be about the size of a tuna fish can. So far it has been pretty hardy. It has survived some big swings in pH I've had over the past couple of months that have killed other montis. I'm working on stabilizing the tank and hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I have a reverse superman,rainbow,and a sunset monti under LEDs and they colored up and grew so much better more toward the top under direct light.when I had them on the bottom they where loosing color and not growing at all..different lighting and setup I guess....any new pics of that beauty?

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
For what it's worth I have mine at about 1/2" point in my 90 under t5's. I have yet to see anyone get the color of the UWW pic. I get a bit of blue on the growth edge and in the valleys. The best green was when it was higher in the tank. I have yet to see anyone get the colors in that UWW pic you posted. I suspect that pic was very heavily shopped. Good luck though.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I've got mine about 6" below the water's surface making it roughly 18" from the light. I's also positioned under the clear center brace of my acrylic tank, so I'm sure that filters out some light. It has colored up and I've seen some green, blue and purple in there.

This has turned out to be one tough little monti. I've been battling a serious pH/carbonic acid problem since the summer and this little bugger survived while 2/3 of my SPS corals perished. I was relieved that all it did was lose some color given how much that tiny frag set me back.

It's been growing better since I started dosing kalkwasser. A lot better compared to when I was dosing 2 part or when I had my calcium reactor running. I'll try to get some photos of it this week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: