funkmaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i was thinking about starting to use kalk but i wasnt sure does any one know the pros and cons do doing this.....i was goin to set it up and drip it ...i was told i will not have to use a-b products nor add cal,mag,and alk ....any thoughts
E

150 gal reef ,30 gal sump 20gal fuge ,uv on drip ,pro. skimmer and carb. reactor

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I use kalk and two part. Actually I use pickling lime, it's way cheaper. The kalk helps to keep the PH up and phosphates down. The two part supplements any Alk Cal shortage.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use kalk and two part. Actually I use pickling lime, it's way cheaper. The kalk helps to keep the PH up and phosphates down. The two part supplements any Alk Cal shortage.

I thought the pickling lime adds Cal and Alk to the tank. Why there is a need to use two part?

dmr2000

Yo Dude !!!
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
build one it's easy tank 003.jpg

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i was thinking about starting to use kalk but i wasnt sure does any one know the pros and cons do doing this.....i was goin to set it up and drip it ...i was told i will not have to use a-b products nor add cal,mag,and alk ....any thoughts
E

150 gal reef ,30 gal sump 20gal fuge ,uv on drip ,pro. skimmer and carb. reactor

Kalk's a great way to supplement calcium and carbonate. If your system has too much demand to be handled by kalk alone, it's still great since it's cheap and reduces your use of more expensive two-parts.

However, kalk is awful if you're not using it with an ATO system with a pH control. Trust me, I did it manually long enough. Manual dosing sucks and so do drip systems, which always get clogged with kalk. You also need to engineer your system so that, in case of an equipment failure, all of your remaining kalk isn't dosed into your tank, and you need to know what happens if you -do- dose too much kalk in your tank. (Don't panic. Slowly add white vinegar or soda water until you get the pH under control, don't sweat the fact that the water's milky.)

It's also important to make sure that your mag is at a good level (I like about 1250,) if it's too low, it'll hamper your ability to maintain carbonate levels. If it's too high, it'll allow your pH to rise too much.

I sometimes have to supplement my carbonate when I'm using kalk, usually after some WCs when I've forgotten to chech my Mg, but I practically never have to supplement Ca. I do use vinegar to increase the kalk saturation, though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: