irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I?m currently adding 15 teaspoons of BRS Kalk into my top off 7.5 gallon container. That container is usually good for two weeks. However I need to Alk every week to bring it around 11 DKh and Ca every two weeks to bring it around 450 ppm.

How do I calculate how much Kalk I need to add to my top water to maintain the Ca and the alk stable?
I guess I can saturate the solution by adding more Kalk, but what?s the maximum amount of kalk that I can add per gallon?
Could it be that the Kalc is giving enough Ca but I don?t have enough CO2 to react into Alk?

What I?ve calculated is that my dKh drops about 2 points and the Ca about 30 ppm every week. And that is even with the current Kalk dosage. How much more Kalk do I need to add? Is is brand defendant?

Thank you for your help and sorry for all the rambling, I hope I explained it clearly.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do I calculate how much Kalk I need to add to my top water to maintain the Ca and the alk stable?

That is very difficult to do without exact parameters

I guess I can saturate the solution by adding more Kalk, but what?s the maximum amount of kalk that I can add per gallon?

Till the pH is ~ 12.5

Rather than me writing a long reply I think this will do you best, so you kinda know what is going on.

What Your Grandmother Never
Told You About Lime

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
ijust started using a tunze calcium dispenser with the osmolator i got from deanos.....they have a general guideline inthe manual as to dosage....i have a smaller tank so i just use the minimum @1tbs

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
thank you Bommer, very good article.
Is there any other way to know when the saturation point has been reached other than a conductivity meter or a high PH test?

I still don?t know how to figure out how much Kalk I need to add. I guess I'll increase the dosage little by little and test every other day till I get little variation of Ca and Alk. I'm trying to keep them around 450 -470 and 11 to 12 respectively

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other way to know when the saturation point has been reached other than a conductivity meter or a high PH test?

Yes, add Kalk to RO/DI water till it dose not dissovle anymore and skim off the clear water.

I guess I'll increase the dosage little by little and test every other day till I get little variation of Ca and Alk.

That is what 99 % do :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: