• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

slojmn1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do
icon_biggrin.gif

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactors push carbonate hardness down, kalkwasser pushes it up. You can play them off each other at greater than normal production rates and stabalise PH by using then to counter affect each other. Im going to use two reactors linked by a computer and controlled by 3 PH probes. HARD CORE!

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said this on another thread just like this: Your tank water will only hold so much calcium and alkalinity ions. There is a limit; (just like there is a limit to how much kalkwasser will dissolve in 1g of water. Try to add an extra 2, 3, 4, teaspoons of kalk, and nothing more than the first spoon will dissolve).

Most people who have calcium reactors and who have them set up properly (expecially now that dual chamber reactors have become popular) have almost maxed out the calcium/alkalinity limit. So all the $$$$$$ you spend on extra controllers, computers, reactors, etc etc might be better spent on buying a nice MH lighting system.

I'm not trying to diss Mouse; let him spend his money, but in the end it's just going to be a pain in the neck and expensive for very little gain;;; IMO....

-Nathan

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Nathan ]

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a calcium reator (Koralin 1501) on my 200 for the last year, with no other supplements except for trace elements, iodine and strontium. About 3-4 months ago, my calcium and alkalinity started dropping dramatically. It seems that my reactor could no longer keep up with growing sps population.

I then started to drip Kalk for most of my make-up water (2-3 gallons per day). Although alkalinity rose, calcium remained depressed. I finally broke down and used calcium chloride to raise the calcium up to decent levels.

Since then, I have continued to drip Kalk for my make-up water, and things seem to have stabilized. In addition, I have really started to see an increase in the growth rate of my sps.

Nevertheless, I plan to upgrade my reactor (either a new circulation pump, or a whole new set-up) later this year. After that, I will probably eliminate the Kalk.

Mike

richwill

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people dose with kalkwasser and also run a calcium reactor? It seems redundant, but apparently some people find it necessary.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mouse:
<STRONG>Calcium reactors push carbonate hardness down</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mouse--didn't you mean to say "Calcium reactors push pH down..." Unless I'm missing something, carbonate hardness is equivalent to alkalinity, and a Ca rxr adds both Ca and alkalinity to the system in a balanced manner, just like kalk.

richwill

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in WHY people are still dosing with kalkwasser when using a calcium reactor. Is it because their reactors are not providing enough calcium? or not raising alkalinity enough?

My recirculating reactor plus pH controller seem to be doing a good job, but I still have lightly loaded tank. I'd rather not hassle with kalkwasser.

A corollary to my original question is whether folks are running large tanks growing lots of stonys with ONLY a calcium reactor.

Imbler

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continued to run my Nilsen reactor after installing my calcium reactor. It allows me to minimize c02 usage, and to maintain a high ph. Also, I retain the benefit of precipitating phosphate.
Mike

Bob Gardner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also in a quandry regarding the use of both kalkwasser and a reactor. The kalkwasser raises the pH as well as the calcium and also precipitates phosphate, so I'm told and I cannot get a measurement for pHosphate in my reef but my calcium levels drop unless I supplement with other commercial calcium additives and my pH drops by 0.025 every night. I want to increase the calcium levels but do not want to see a further drop in pH. According to some quotes, you need to time the use of the reactor and the kalkwasser doser carefully to achieve the right balance. Could current users of both equipments comment to me please.

Imbler

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob, it was no problem to balance at all. I was running a nilsen reactor, and it couldn't keep up with calcium demand without driving ph up to high, so I was using Bionic (the non ph-rising version). I installed a Lifereef Ca reactor, and ceased dosing the B-ionic. It took only a couple of adjustments to get the CA reactor to pick up the slack
Results - ca and alk are rock steady. PH varies between 8.15 lights on to 8.3 lights off. I run both reactors 24/7.
regards, Mike

blinky

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a ca reactor alone for over a year and it kept alk at 4.0 meq/l and Ca around 400. But pH was usually 8.0(low) - 8.2(high). I started using KW in my topoff system and now the alk is 3.0 meq/l, Ca at 480, and pH 8.1-8.4. A few spots of bryopsis have started to disappear since I started using KW. I don't have high Ca demand(yet), just a few sps frags.

Brian

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: