andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think this is pretty much the same thing as the Tapwater deionizer, which is pretty much the same thing as the DI chamber of any RO/DI system. The advantage of this is less wastewater, the disadvantage is that, since "dirtier" water is going to the DI (In a RO/DI, the water doesn't get to this until it's been through the prefilters and the RO membrane), it will be exhausted much faster.

Recharging is complicated and sounds dangerous. Looked it up years ago. You need strong acids and bases to do it.

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using an API Tap Water Filter (DI) for years. I'm in NYC and our water has a very low TDS (mine is 37ppm). The water coming out of my filter measures 1ppm (instrument accuracy +/- 2ppm). I've gotten over 200 gallons, with no waste, from my current cartridge and it is only half consumed judging by the color, and I measure it with my TDS meter every so often. It can make about 1 gallon every ten minutes.

The API filter comes with faucet attachment, hoses and everything you need to plug and play. The unit you mention is way more expensive and seems like you need to purchase fittings and hoses.

If you don't need bathtubs full of water per week, the API unit is a good value. If you need large volumes...well I suppose rodi is a better value.

So, if you have low TDS coming out of your faucet, modest volume needs, and want no fuss refilling cartridges, get the API.

Last edited:

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I have been curious to try it also. I have a system but never used it before. I definitely like the fact there is no waste water I don't use ro because of how much water it wastes. From what I found out you need to keep monitoring the tds and when it goes bad change it but I think it lasts a few months.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: