Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hello fellow reefers been long time but i need some help I'm having trouble with my PH it constantly drops to below 8.2 where i like to keep it my Alk varies between 8.3 at its high and 8.0 at its low i am dosing Vodka also. So my question is how can i get my PH to stay at 8.2 it drops very low and i have it hooked up to my reef keep lite and the probe gets calibrated once every 2 months for accuracy the last reading was 7.7 i need help my friends i feel this is having an adverse affect on my corals what could i do to correct this problem and using an air stone didn't work it actually made the PH drop even lower so i removed it from the sump so looking for sound advice please please please thanks in advance

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher alk will help you maintain more consistent pH levels. Not everyone wants higher alk, but if you keep your alk at 10-14 dKh you will probably see your pH fluctuate less.

If you want higher pH I would tell you to dose Kalk at night.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave your pH alone it us fine. That pH drop is from CO2 and CO2 could care less what your Alk is. No matter what your Alk is, when CO2 enters the water or accumulates the pH will drop period. If you had your windows opened so the CO2 could leave the room you will not see that drop.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Leave your pH alone it us fine. That pH drop is from CO2 and CO2 could care less what your Alk is. No matter what your Alk is, when CO2 enters the water or accumulates the pH will drop period. If you had your windows opened so the CO2 could leave the room you will not see that drop.

+1, Is all about CO2, NOT sure how important is the steady PH, but I go back on my doser, now I got 7.96 PH at night and 8.06 PH day, I also dose Kalka (18 hrs. 1.1 ml/min.) I use fans and fresh air from outside (24/7) inside the shop, my CO2 is 435 to 500 ppm inside the shop, depend how many ppl. hang around, I really don't like the idea to introduce more CO2 by using the Calcium Reactor, list for now. The reason I still have low PH is because I like low Alk. (7.5 to 8 Dkh) I may try to increase the Kalka. then I may got 9 Dkh and higher PH, but NOT sure if I need that.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I'm just looking to keep it steady around 8.1 all day i know it will drop during the night but during the day it was dropping very low but i have it steady it seems now i changed the dosing on my bubble magnus a friend showed me that i was doing it wrong but since I've changed it my Ph is steady at 8.1 during the day hours and about 7.96 at night as for the CO2 i have all the windows open and no one is really in the house all day and its just me don't think i let loose that much gas lmao lmao but thanks guys i will keep posted

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
so I've gotten it to stay about 8.1 all day even at night by dosing more evenly though out the day also i noticed that once i turned my chiller on and my temp lowered to 76 where i tend to keep my tanks the PH went up is that normal

debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
if the animal life is thriving, don't get wrapped around the axle on numbers. When I first got a PH probe and could see the changes, I had to restrain myself - saying 'it's been like this you just didn't know it' - and reminding myself that the animals are happy!

debby

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
if the animal life is thriving, don't get wrapped around the axle on numbers. When I first got a PH probe and could see the changes, I had to restrain myself - saying 'it's been like this you just didn't know it' - and reminding myself that the animals are happy!

debby

i agree but i did notice that ever since I've been keeping my ph around 8-8.2 all the time everything seems much more happy it was a matter of playing with the loser and increasing the amount of times per day it was dosing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: