jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm new to reefing and have a 65 gallon tank with mostly Softies, Zoos and a couple of LPSs. All frags and the tank is about 4 months old.. I think my chemistry is pretty good but the Alkalinity has been going down a bit. It's currently at 7.7. Additionally my Magnesium is a little high. I do 10% water changes every two weeks with Indian Ocean Reef Crystals. Do you think I should start dosing for KH/Alk? Or keep checking to see what happens?

My Levels:Gravity 1.25
PH- 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Calcium 440
Mg 1440
Kh/Alk 7.7

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Would be curious to see what the ph is in the morning, as compared to at night when the lights have been on all day. You're at the edge of what's good for alk. Dosing couldn't hurt, and if it goes much lower you should.
In general, when alk goes up ph goes up, and vice verse. And when alk goes up, cal goes down, and vice verse.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Should bring a water sample into your lfs, or fellow reefer to see what they come up with/double check your testing and testing kit. I do that a couple of times a year, and i'm always checking people's tanks.
The reason i say that is because your ph is up and alk is down. And, althou batches can vary, instant ocean reef crystals is known to be hi alk.
salt-jpg.210277

Last edited:

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah prob is my local place won't check alk and I don't know anyone in SI to test my for me. Just did another test and seems like my alk is dropped even more. Not even sure if that's possible from this morning? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are 2 that I know about, just called animal kingdom and they won't test alk, even called a place in NJ that's usually very good but they won't test alk either. If you know anyplace in brooklyn that will I'd give them a call.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Don't know any that test off hand. I mean they must have test kits for their own use, not testing for others seems like bad biz to me.
Calling all SI reefers! Help a fellow reefer out

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you but I think i figured out what I was doing wrong. The top the syringe wasn't on all the way. It was only off a very little bit but it made a major difference in the tests. Now I'm reading at 8.4. Still learning!! However if anyone on SI does know of a good LFS I'd love some recommendations.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: