Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
any tips on killing my rock. theres to much phosphate leaking and i need to get rid of it. theres no way im cooking it, it just takes to long so im just gonna spend the week to completely kill it then seed it with high quality live rock. also what should i do with all my coral do you think i can just stuff it all into a 10 or 20 gallon for the whole nitrogen cycle? and i have 2 dragnets and a fire fish which i will probably have to get rid of or maybe give to my friend.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
the rock that comes directly from the ocean like from live aquaria instead of rebuying it from someone who has used it and killing the live rock gets rid of everything o theres no phosphates or nitrates or anything at all hitchhiking on it. usually when its from someone else's aquarium theres phosphates attached to it that will always leak into the new aquarium
killing the LR??? how is that gona help?????and BTW what is high quality live rock??????

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i am a little confuse also if ur rock is already alive what ever u got on it u can find animals that eat it and water changes will take care of the rest.... if u do kill the rock u got in ur tank and start over that u def going to loose some of ur corals and u have to get rid of ur two fish imo its not worth it to do what u want to do but that just my op

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
if the rock was neglected from the previous owner it will always have phosphates leaking so the only way to get rid of it is to cook it or kill it
i am a little confuse also if ur rock is already alive what ever u got on it u can find animals that eat it and water changes will take care of the rest.... if u do kill the rock u got in ur tank and start over that u def going to loose some of ur corals and u have to get rid of ur two fish imo its not worth it to do what u want to do but that just my op

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
cooking lets all the bacteria nad critters stay alive buy putting it in the closed container for 6 months and doing water changes twice a week. killing it is soaking it in bleach then rinsing it out. its a short process but then you need to reseed it with live rock.
Ummmm.... What? That's cooking the rock. Otherwise a week won't do anything.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
There are few ways of doing this but IMO the best way to do this is removal and let it dry out for a week. Once done, you will have to scrub the rock of any dead material(plants and hitchhikers) making sure to get into the crevices aswell. Then a rinse with a hose to remove the dead matter. I then let soak in RO water for a few days and rinse again with RODI. I do this for about a week.
Now the curing process begins. Just to mention, do not rush the curing process. It will take a couple of weeks.
Get you container, fill with freshly made sw and place your rock in. No light needed, add your pump and heater and wait.(Some will add LR immediately but you shouldn't because the Nitrogen cycle and if you add LR then, anything live will die during this process.) So wait untill the Process has completed. Then add your LR after. Soon you old rock will have new life.

Google has tons of info, you can also use the search function here on the site to get info from other posts aswell.

GL

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: