nazzman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help on lighting. have 60 gl hex only 27" wide looking into Leds manufacters make some big claims with intensity , looking at 120w led 71white 49 blue claims to replace 250MH having problem with finding one unit powerful enough without going MH I like the sound of these leds has anyone have good results with just leds THANX

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be perfectly fair, I have only heard complaints about LED lighting. Granted I am
talking about people who bought stuff made in China that just fell apart within weeks.
You can read about it using the search function using words like LED and sucks and rip.
I would be willing to bet that someone of repute makes LEDs that work, but even people
in fish stores, I have heard customer anecdotes about LFS display tanks with em and
corals reaching for light and getting all scraggly and RTN and stuff. Best bet is to local
and google search that, but maybe you will get the answer you want here, in time. Seems
a little slow for a web forum. I mean look, the only replies on recent posts are "saltlick"
all the way down.

nazzman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read nothing but good things about it on other fish sites long life and cost of operation has me leaning this way 24" T5 fixtures with 8 bulbs $700+ SEEMS HIGH mh cheaper but costs of running either way alot of cash

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want to keep. LEDs are improving A LOT lately, but what they still can't do is compete with MH for depth penetration. I know hex tanks are relatively deep, so if you don't mind not having high-light corals near the bottom (anything below about 15-18"), the LEDs are a very good option. There's a whole gang of new ones coming out lately.

nazzman

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will the light be strong enough for SPS's near the top for growth and do u think soft corals near bottom would not have issue, my brain is spinning with all the choices and price ranges i don't want to skimp on the lights but having tough time on choosing right light for the price

Petsolutions

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally don't recommend LED lighting for SPS corals, but it could be that there are new fixtures on the market that I haven't seen yet and that the company I work for doesn't carry. I generally recommend the higher end LED lighting fixtures for LPS and soft corals/zoanthids, etc. and they seem to do fine. I haven't heard from anyone who has used LED's for growing SPS, but it could be that it is being done and I just haven't heard about it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: