sharkdude

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever see the light shuttles they make availble for hydroponics use? This basically moves a large fixture around the indoor grow room to make best use of available light in a limited area.

I was wondering if it would be feasible to build a minature version that could move a single mh fixture from one end of a long tank to the other over the period of lights on.

I would think this would provide indirect and direct lighting from multiple angles to many sides of a coral and more closely approximate natural movement of sun?

any one have any thoughts on this type of project?

I'm thinking a small motor, track, and a belt would be adaptable.

perhaps a new gizmo for mass marketing in the works? (like this hobby needs another gizmo :rolleyes
icon_smile.gif

rotorh60

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a light rail 3 installed in my canopy. Have 2 400 watt MH mounted to it, and it has been operating trouble free for two years now. I enjoy the way it lights up the tank, and watching the light move changes the shadows around. It takes 7 minutes for it to complete one trip, and that is with a 30 second delay at each end. HTH

rotorh60

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a light rail 3 installed in my canopy. Have 2 400 watt MH mounted to it, and it has been operating trouble free for two years now. I enjoy the way it lights up the tank, and watching the light move changes the shadows around. It takes 7 minutes for it to complete one trip, and that is with a 30 second delay at each end. HTH

sharkdude

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rotorh60,
Do you have a link or source for the 'light rail 3' ?

br1200, that's exactly what I envision but a smaller version that would fit within a canopy.

rotorh60

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sharkdude,
The name of the whole unit is Colorado Light Rail 3. The website used to be lightrail3.com, but it is no longer in operation. If you do a search at hydrophonic web sites, you might be able to locate one there. I am sorry I could not help you any more than that. Like I said, I am very pleased with the performance of this, and it comes with a 2 yr warrenty. If I find a site that carries it, I will post it here for ya.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: