justin howley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hi All, I have a SolarMax 24" 24watt T5 for my Fluval Edge. I replaced my 18" 18watt T5 because it died somehow. The SolarMax was a better choice for me.

Since it is a higher output light, I notice more diatom algae growth. The light is sitting on the top of the square hood (about 5 inches from glass). I'm thinking this is too close since the tanks depth is about 10 inches.

I'm thinking of suspending it a few more inches above the tank. Does anyone have a DIY method of rigging something to suspend the light? I tried to see if I could suspend from the ceiling, but the ceiling is concrete.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You could drill holes into the ceiling with a bit( i think thats how you spell it) that makes make it so you can put screws in or use self drilling screws and put a metal piece in there so you can hang line from it i think thick fishing line would work depends on how heavy it is.

justin howley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah I tried the ceiling thing, concrete ceiling. So the more I drilled the more dust I got with no solid hole. Scratch that idea. I may try some sort of wall mounted shelf and mount the light to the bottom of the shelf, but I need something like 25 inches deep.

Or I guess I'll check out Home Depot and see what I can rig.

justin howley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I couldn't find this exact answer searching online either.

Are diatom blooms deadly to fish and coral? If so how long does it take for them to start dying off? Is it ok to just leave it and let it go away on its own?

I did stop my lights last night and none today. I used distilled Poland Spring water with my salt mix for a 2 gallon water change (6 gallon tank). So far those are the tips I've read online.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: