sef20

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi! I am just starting up my dream come true... 120 gallon reef tank. For the lighting, I am deciding between a Retrofit 8x54W T-5 lighting system or a Retrofit Metal Halide system. I am trying to avoid having a chiller. Would the Metal Halide system cause a heating problem because of the canopy? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

acasden

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a glass cover be on the tank? that may make a big difference. I think with metal halides chances are good that a chiller will be needed. Don't know much about the T5 but heard the bulbs are expensive

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sef20":14zzmgvq said:
yes there will be a glass top on the tank.

Any particular reason? No need for it and might end up blocking light if not maintained continuously.

As far as what light is better in the long run is really a matter of personal preference after reading from other hobbyists experiences and some good articles like the ones on Advanced Aquarist (Our monthly online magazine). Both will work if setup correctly. Personally I've always used MH, but would not knock T5's since I've seen amazing tanks using them. Heat might be an issue with MH, but there's some T5 setups that run a little on the high side too.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1.. I would avoid a glass top. They have a greater potential for problems than any good you could possibly yield from having one.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: