atnixon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all..

Can anybody give me any pointers on what lighting is required for a sump / fuge?

Niko

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really up to you.

Mine has no lights other than the room lights its in.

Some people put lights on their sump and light it reverse from the main tank, in other words lights on the main, lights off on the sump, lights off on the main, lights on on the sump. Has something to do with keeping PH steady at night.

never bothered.

Now a fuge, if you are growing macroalgae's you will need light.

How much?

I wouldn't bother with more than a regular tank bulb. maybe someone with a fuge will chime in.

HTH

atnixon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya Shades...

My sump will be in total darkness all the time as it will be enclosed inside my stand, and i do want to grow macro's in there..

Am going to start building my stand next week while i am on my christmas break, so it makes sence to build a lighting unit into the woodwork as i am constructing...

Thanks for chiming in on this thread mate..

Niko

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is usually a bit of splash and stuff from a sump, plus the spatter from small bubbles popping so be sure and have it covered or separated in some way. Everything in my stand under my tank got spatter on it.

atnixon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i agree with keeping it covered..The sump tank will have a complete plexi-glass cover on it, so any splashing or popping will be kept inside the tank ( hopefully )...How-ever, all the stand will be coating in waterproof wax and the light unit will also be behind a plexi-glass screen to give it protection..Think that will work fine..

Niko

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sump lighting you can go with something as little as a small off the Hardware store shelf florescent (65K 60W) to as much as a MH if you feel the need. I think most use the first.

atnixon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, i brought a light today for the sump...well, actually, its a security light which gives me that amount of power and comes with a great bulb holder which can be built into the new stand. The bulb is actually 80w...should be fine..

Thanks for the info Trido, much appreciated mate

Niko

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use this. it's a 5000k 23watt bulb, which costs about 5 dollars. the fixture was 6.95 at home depot. it works fabulous.
(this bulb is an energy saver that replaces a 100 watt conventional bulb)

Attachments

• FugeLight.JPG
    FugeLight.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,653

GuyAFA

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, where do you have it attached? Looks like it is mounted on the center cross beam support of the stand. Any problems with spatter? I have a refugium built into my sump and no cover for either. The sump/refugium sits to one side of the center cross beam but I could probably mount the fixture to it and point it over the refugium. I'm concerned about the fixture falling into the sump and tripping the GFI. Also, do I need to be concerned about heat from the light warming the cabinet or sand above? I guess my question is what's the best way to mount it?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey GuyAFA. :welcome:

At first I clipped mine to the side of the fuge. Last night I hooked it to a piece of plumbing that ran by, and zip tied it over the top of the pipe so it cant fall into the water. So far splatter hasn't been a problem.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is clipped on a stand to show you. it was actually clipped to the underside of the stand before i moved it for the pic. it doesn't get real hot, so you can prop it against the glass or whatever if you need to. the important thing is, it works....the macros do well with it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: