rBeOeBf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long will live rock remain live in it's shipping box? I ordered some rock from Flying Fish last week to be shipped for arrival on Saturday. Flying Fish sent the rock out, but FEDEX never delivered it. Called FEDEX over the weekend and they said they have no record of any packages for me. I got the tracking # from Flying Fish this morning and looked it up on the FEDEX web site. Looks like the package is in fact there, but just wasn't delivered. I think I'm going to have to spend the day arguing with FEDEX, and probably pick the package up myself. I'm just afraid of what I'll find inside.

Bob

-JB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say your good for at least 5 days. You would rather get it as quickly as possible but another day a two shouldn't kill everything. The crabs and mantis shrimp that come on live rock probably won't make it though.
icon_smile.gif
You'll get some die off but I think you should be ok.

rfs1rock

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I would call ffexpress and see what they think you should do.I would not be happy with fed-ex right now.If the rock has some good life on it,the longer it stays in the box,the more the life on the rock will die.

rBeOeBf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I made sure to include the apartment #. I thought ffexpress was to blame when FEDEX told me they had no packages for me when I called the day after delevery was due. Then I got ahold of the tracking # today and saw that ffexpress did their part and shipped it out on schedule. FEDEX is just clueless. But if everything will still be fine after being in the box for a few days, then maybe i can still salvage the rock if I can manage to get my hands on the package today.

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBE, i ordered something last week from a company, gave them my apt #, but they forgot to include it and it wasnt on the mailing label. luckily the delivery guy is the same guy that brings fedex packages to my apt so he knew who i was. He said in cases where the apt # is left out he's supposed to return the package. But in this case, he remembered me (and didnt need the apt #).

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in any case, dont accept 5 day old rock! that stuff is barely kept wet with newspaper. at least, thats how mine was sent.

gagnu

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sign for it when FedEx comes. It's been sitting in their 90+ degree warehouse for 2+ days and who knows how long FFexpress had it at their location. You might want to call FFexpress, they may say "keep it, and we'll send another box"
icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: gagnu ]

rBeOeBf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 delivery attempts by FEDEX to the wrong place (even though the correct address was on the label...
icon_rolleyes.gif
) I picked up the live rock myself. It was boxed up for a total of 4 days, and seems to have survived pretty well. There was no overwhelming stench of death, as I had feared, when I opened the box. Saw some worms and bugs begin to emerge once the rock had been in the tank for a bit. A fair amount of pink and orange coralline, and a few bits of macro algae here and there. Not nearly as pretty as the pics you see on the website, but still better, and cheaper, than any LFS near me. I dropped FFexpress an email to inform them of the late delivery, but luckily all seems well so I'm not too concerned about trying to get a new batch of rock.

Bob

The Bluedevil

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to here the rock turned out pretty much ok. I'd still get on Fedex's case. You paid 2nd day air and basically got ground delivery. I'd try to get remeimbursed for some of the shipping expensive if i was you. Never hurts to complain when your in the right!!

vpham97

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fedex delivered my rock a day early, so no complaint here. My rock does stink when it arrive though. So, you're still better off then I'm since your rock doesn't smell. I think they start to smell worse after you put them in the water.

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a case like that, fedex will reimburse all the expense but that would go to ffexpress. ffe will be the one that reimburses you

james wiser

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get your money back from FedEx.
I know on 10:30 priority if they are late not due to a weather delay you get your shipping free. They will credit FFE (the shipper) and the shipper owes you your money back or store credit for corals.

James

rBeOeBf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did complain to FEDEX and all they kept saying was "we attempeted delivery 3 times". I tried to explain to them that they must have been going to the wrong place because I was home at the time of 2 of those 3 attempts, keeping a careful eye out for the truck, and there was no delivery person to be seen. So they asked me for my address and again said "we attempted delivery 3 times". 3 attempts at the wrong place doesn't do much good, but they don't really seem to get it. It was kind of like talking to a brick wall. But since the rock turned out OK, I'd rather not continue a hopeless argument.

GMH320

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ordered live rock which was sent 2nd day delivery. Fedex never delivered it, saying that they couldn't find my address. The next day they sent out another driver who found it with no problems. The rock seemed to hold up ok after 3 days in hot weather. I did complain to the company I bought the rock from, and got a credit for the shipping charges, something you should do also...hey every buck counts! BTW, DHL was a day late in getting me my rock on another occasion.

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so fedex's gaurantee is that they'll deliver, but not necessarily to the right address? if they did make an attempt and you were not home, they would've left a peice of paper stating that they made an attempt and that you could pick up the box after 6pm, at the local fedex office.

rBeOeBf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No slip of paper saying they were there. I even left a note for the driver 2 days in a row after the 1st missed attempt (as I was told by FEDEX I could do) asking to have the package left at the door if I wasn't there. So I'm pretty sure they were going to the wrong place.

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a package of Tang Heaven from IPSF to be delivered by Fedex. Instead of having it sit in the back of a hot truck, I had them hold it at the Fedex facility. I was there at 9AM to pick up the package and get the Tang Heaven into one of my tanks.

I did this on a week day. I spend most of my day on a computer, so the boss doesn't mind in I spend an occasional day at home working on my PC instead of the office.

Consider a hold at facility, instead of a delivery next time you order.

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: