Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Hi. How do I treat live rock that's been out of water for four days before putting in my dt. I've had it in water in a covered container with powerheads and heater for two days so far and it's stinking up the apartment (die off I know). In retrospect I should have cleaned off the rocks before putting them in so I guess I should still go ahead and do that. What more should I be doing, and how long should I do this before using the rock?

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
what is currently in the display? any livestock?
I do have lifestock, lr and a few corals in the dt. I believe that the new lr I got will have to go through some curing, I'm just wondering if that process will take the "weeks" that I've seen suggested, or would be shorter since it was out of water only four days (perhaps I should just watch the levels - ammonia, nitrate, nitrite). Also, I've seen where it's been suggested that you run carbon, and a skimmer while curing.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I think there will be a substantial amount of die off. Your looking at least a few weeks and a ton of water changes to re-cure that rock. 4 days out of water is a long time for something that needs water too live lol.

you can run carbon to reduce the smell. It can get pretty bad.

i personally wouldn't add it too the direct tank for atleast a month or so

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Adding the rock to the DT is like adding livestock, you must keep an eye on your parameters. I would first let the rock cure a bit more and then add it in small amounts to your DT. Be mindful that you will get some spikes in your parameters. try using some bacteria like Brightwell's microbacter 7. I've used it before and still do when curing rock and afterwards in my DT.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
nigel i would not just put it in my dt i would cycle it seperate first and then after its cure throw in my tank u might kill some of ur livestock if u just put it in ur dt

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
nigel i would not just put it in my dt i would cycle it seperate first and then after its cure throw in my tank u might kill some of ur livestock if u just put it in ur dt
That's what I'm doing - the lr is in a separate covered container with powerheads and heater. I wanted to get some ideas on different persons' experiences and practices on the re-curing process since the rock was out of water for 4 days. I wouldn't want to do anything to overly stress or worse, kill my livestock.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
The answer is really simple. The dead smell, is of course die off. The quickest you can put it in the tank, is after it cycles in a bucket. When there is no amonia or nitrite, then the cycle is done. So if you were in a rush to put it in, that's the fastest to put it in.

Now, some people like to take freshly cured live rock and wait a bit longer. Sometimes, weeks, so that unexpected and unwanted pests will also die off. However, with good die off there is also bad die off. Your choice.

So at the least, wait until the rocks cycle.

Hope this helps.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Keep doing regular water changes on the rock. When you smell the rock out of the water and it doesnt stink anymore your good to go. This could take a while. Also live rock is like a sponge. Even though it is cured it is more than likely going to be saturated with nitrates and phosphates. If your tank has a lower level of both the rock will leach it back out to the water even after the cure is done. To help just do more frequent than usual water changes on the dt. That should also help you avoid an algae bloom that could come along. Good Luck, and remember to be patient.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Thanks again for the guidance guys. Over the weekend I cleaned up the rocks (which I should have done in the first place), removed visible dead organisms, lightly brushed with an old toothbrush and changed the water. Even though the initial stench had kinda disappeared, the rocks smelled like rotting garbage when I took them out to clean them. Much better afterwards - no more odor problem. I'll check my levels tonight when I get home.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
It is going to take as much time as any live rock you order and get shipped to you. The only possible advantage here is that there was probably less life on it then if you got it from the ocean so there will be less die off.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: