MikesReef

Bread Of Life
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Looking for help in Ref to Ammonina cycle of a new tank!

Hello guys looking for some info help!.

Tank readings are as follow:
as of today:

Calcium 440 ppm
Nitrite. 0.0
PH 7.8
Nitrate 0.0
KH 12dkh / 214.8 ppm
SG 1.022 / 29 ppt
Temp 78 degrees.
Ammonina 0.25

tank set up is now about 30 days out and still can't get the Ammonia down to 0.0. what could be the problem? is my tank still cycling. I have been very easy going by doing everything that is required. I have 2 reactor, one with carbon and one with GFO. I have a octopus skimmer rated fro 200 up t0 250 gal. also Have a sump with a refuge. I set it up by adding live sand and rock. one fish at a time after 2 weeks and now have 3 damsel, one clown fish and a goby. as of 3 day ago I started to add some coral and everything is looking very good. I have not yet done a water change. some told me not to until all of the cycle was done. could it be that my cycle has set and done in 30 days? is that possible? still I think need to bring down the Ammonia. should I do a water change? is it time yet? please help out, need experience reefer on this one not to offend anybody . thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 20141122_122919.jpg
    20141122_122919.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Seems to me that you are rushing things and did not complete the cycle. You have too much livestock for a tank that young and should not be adding any coral yet. Did you check your ammonia through the cycle?
You should have had a spike and then 0. Then you should have seen a spike in nitrites and then 0. You may be getting an ammonia reading because those fish are creating or extending a new cycle.
I would do a water change and test again.

Last edited:

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Hey Mike.

Do this. get some zeolite either the carbon/ zeo mix from petco or if you can find from korrilin zuct the zeovit zeo's run them in a reactor for about a week you should see the ammonia come down.

then do a big water change and add the appropriate bottle of DR Tims nitifing bacteria.

and that should square you away.

no more fish or coral for 60 days. feed sparingly .

Last edited:

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I would get those damsels out now while you might still be able too. They will terrorize any of your new inhabitants. On the subject of your 30 day old tank I would just take it slow and test test test. I left my tank empty and let it cycle for a week with live rock and sand no fish no lights for a week. Then lights for the next week and on the 3rd week I added chromis fish. Then I saw the main cycle go through quickly and easily. Until you tank is mature enough you can't be adding more fish and do yourself a favor and read the reef aquarium volume 3. Don't add bacteria or any of those products. Just keep your system clean and simple. Be patient, I know it's hard but that is the key. To build a tank takes a few days but to crash it can take a day and to create a real piece of art and harmony with nature can't take years.

MikesReef

Bread Of Life
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks for the info guys and sorry about the second post....I'm going to do a water change today and not going to put any other live stock until a month from now. still have same readings this is crazy. Everything is doing good. all the corals open better then when it was in my other tank. crazy....i have one more Rock I have to introduce into the tank. Is a small rock about 1/4 of a lbs with some small polyp on the rock. eagle eyes...dont want to lost them. they are the last thing in my other tank.

the question is should i do the water change first or add the rock and then the water change....10% or 20% ? here some of the pics from the tank now...

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 203
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 203

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: