rpc07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
This is the first time using a skimmer and i have a few questions

This is a won brothers cu 75 skimmer on a 55gal tank in the sump about 4 inches of water

After about 4 days of having a 2 fish in the tank after it has cycled the skimmer is finally starting to do something, my question is is it doing the right thing, it is making heavy foam in the body but the collection cup fills up with water that is a yellowish brown i have looked at pictures of what skimmers are supposed to do and this is a little more watery then what i have been looking at, is this the first stages in the break in time? or does something need to be adjusted i will post a picture in the morning as its late now so you all can see what i mean im sure that will help more.

Thanks for the help, Ryan

bmarkus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you want to get the skimmer to put off a dry foam it should be anything from white to a very dark gray however dry very little water should be in the collection cup. I get about 4 oz of water per week on my 450 gallon system however I clean my cup every day from the gunk. You might want to cut down the air in or lower the water in the skimmer if it is to high.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: