Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
AC3 pro one of the channels only stays on.. WTF, really getting tired of these controllers had the same thing happen to the Rk2 I had but that was 2.5 years old.. This unit is only 9 months old..

What it was running:
500 watt heater
400 watt metal halide
4x39 watt t5 fixture sump light
19in fan
Co2 soleniod for calcium reactor

Anyone else experienceing these type of failures??

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tobin, your AC3 has nothing to do with the DC8. The DC8 is your outlet module. Each outlet can run a maximum of 6 amp load. Your total DC8 can't be more than 15 amps.

Your load as you listed above is under 10 amps. You should be fine with that.

Russ

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
How come the outlet is only running on and can't be controlled... When it comes to the ac3 I'd rather play dumb and ask a question than try to figure it out I'm just to busy no a days..
Thanks for the help in advance guy's..

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The AC3 seems to be failing. The DC8 is just a bunch of outlets. There's no 'electronics' in the DC8 (that I can think of). If the channel is staying on, the AC3 controller seems to be malfunctioning. I'd call Neptune customer service if I were you. They should be able to help.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Your load as you listed above is under 10 amps. You should be fine with that.

You sure about that? Icecap 400w ballasts run about 5.4A each and the Heater is close to 5A as well. 2 400W Ballasts and the heater by themselves push over the 15A limit. Too much current could have easily blown out the control mechanism to the outlet.

Even if you are under, you're probably cutting it close and may want to consider the heavy duty DC4 for the MH at least.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The AC3 seems to be failing. The DC8 is just a bunch of outlets. There's no 'electronics' in the DC8 (that I can think of). If the channel is staying on, the AC3 controller seems to be malfunctioning. I'd call Neptune customer service if I were you. They should be able to help.

There is a bus in the DC8 that tells the AC3 which outlet each channel is (my guess is that they're controlled by relay switches but I'm not sure). If this is the case, and the relay is fried, it will cause the circuit to remain in a single state (i.e. Open or Closed), and not respond to a command to trigger the relay and shut the outlet down.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
You sure about that? Icecap 400w ballasts run about 5.4A each and the Heater is close to 5A as well. 2 400W Ballasts and the heater by themselves push over the 15A limit. Too much current could have easily blown out the control mechanism to the outlet.

Even if you are under, you're probably cutting it close and may want to consider the heavy duty DC4 for the MH at least.

500 watt heater
400 watt metal halide
4x39 watt t5 fixture sump light = 156w
-------------------------------------
1056w

19in fan
----------------------------------
Lets figure 50w for the fan and solenoid, you can use 100w if you want.

total = 1156/120v= 9.6333333333 amps

I don't see anywhere anything about IC ballasts.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Was just using IC ballast as an example, and even though they are only 400W, they put out 5.4 as per specs.

Bob, are you running 1 or 2 MHs on this? You can find amperage on the ballast or manufacturer's site to confirm one way or another what your total load is. Even if it didn't cause the failure, it's good information to know.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
tobin i used to have the AC3 and i didn't use the DC8 for my halides or chiller, i purchased the heavy duty outlet for that equipment. a 400w ballast may run at 400w but upon startup any electronic ballast can use 2-3 times the rated current to fire the bulb up.

GreshamH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500 watt heater
400 watt metal halide
4x39 watt t5 fixture sump light = 156w
-------------------------------------
1056w

19in fan
----------------------------------
Lets figure 50w for the fan and solenoid, you can use 100w if you want.

total = 1156/120v= 9.6333333333 amps

I don't see anywhere anything about IC ballasts.

Those are running numbers and not start up ;) Not to mention no ballast has zero waste so even if it's a 500w ballast it has to draw more then that ;) You know this, but just forgot :lol:

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
AC3 pro one of the channels only stays on..

You mean it could not be manually turned off with the controller? Or, the controller says it is off but the DC8 outlet is stuck to the "on" position. Which outlet is it on (possible 4 or 8) and what is plugged into it? I am running 2 400W MH with it among other things without any issues.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Those are running numbers and not start up ;) Not to mention no ballast has zero waste so even if it's a 500w ballast it has to draw more then that ;) You know this, but just forgot :lol:

Correct G. However, the rules are that you don't run higher than 80% of the max load to account for start up. This scenario was so far below the 80% it didn't bear mentioning. :splitspin

But thanks for the kick in the rear ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: