nick96ss

That thing got a HEMI ?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
in the past few weeks my chalices and as of yesterday my acans are starting to fade and deteriorate i do water changes every other week of 30 gallons
here is the info i have
temp ..80
salt ....1.024
ph.......8.1
nitrate...0
nitrite ...0
amonia...0
mg.......1400
alk.......2.86
dkh........8
cal.........350 a bit low
phos......0
i have a 120 with a 75 gallon sump MH on for 5 hours (250's)
fish ...pair of clowns , dispar anthias, cardinal, and a cromis
the rest of my corals a few sps, and all my zoas are thriving like crazy
i need some help here before i lose the rest of my chalices ..

nick96ss

That thing got a HEMI ?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
nothing new , didn't check for copper need to get a test kit . and my wife swears up and down she has not been anywhere near the tank .

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Nick you are not alone on this! I lost almost all of my lps starting last year when I added more flow to my reef (4 #3 Koralias). First I blamed the Koralias, then the summer heat and my lack of care on the reef. But even after the summer heat was gone and I concentrated on feeding and w/c the events continued. Losses were; chalices, brains, frogspawns, favias, acans, a few zoas.;(
Now I have some Torches, Frogspawns that are doing well and my huge Hammer that dwindled down to 2 heads and blastos are on the mend. Yet I intruduced a frogspawn from a friends tank and it lost a head. I also introduced the other half of the Christmas favia that was doing great in my little swamp and again it started doing bad.
Like you all my parameters fall in check and absolutely no aerosols are sprayed by the tanks.
This tank has never seen Copper!
My final this is that the reef has become to clean for them, but even that is just a lame grasping for straws excuse.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
funny it seems around the same time every year i start to lose a few zoa's without explanation, you dosing anything ? vodka, prodibio ? brightwell ect ? or tested your mix water ? cleaned ato bucket ?

nick96ss

That thing got a HEMI ?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
no copper just checked ......just dosing calcium to bring up the numbers everything i have been doing is the same haven't changed my routine
i did have a difference in numbers on calcium from 1 bucket of salt to another both reef crystals other than that all is the same
awibrandy i to have no clue , i swear i had better luck running a 30 gallon with no sump than i have now

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Why dose alk or mag when your # on those 2 are fine? Just keep an eye on those as well as on your cal as you dose calcium.

I think there are just some corals that will do fine in our systems and others that regardless of what we do just won't make it.

I personally will try to make sure I am providing the individual requirements for individual animals. While understanding that we cannot make everything happy within the confines of our glass boxes. Like I said I have alot of lps which are thriving as well as sps and softies.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
nick i went though it before with lps, do it on a regular with zoa's. couldnt for the life of me figure it out, and more frustrating when the hard to keep stuff is doing good and easy stuff isnt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: