Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hi, just getting back into the hobby after a very long time. My LFS mentioned, that due to lower salinity levels used these days, it is much easier to keep fish alive. Did not discuss a reef tank specifically. I should of asked as compared to a few years ago, or compared to coral reefs, or how recent this development is. Just wondering if there are any thoughts on lower salinity levels....

Thanks!

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I'm not sure what your LFS is referring to. If you are are keeping a fish only system you can target slightly lower than NSW levels and many shops do this to help keep parasites at bay. This is far from a new approach though, in fact it is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Reefkeepers target the same levels they always have 1.025/6 ppm.

If your LFS is suggesting otherwise, I'd begin to question the advice you are getting in general.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Prattreef is right, you'll find that most LFS keep their SG lower to fight off parasites. Their SG will further drop as they sell and bag up fish during the day, as unlike corals fish need a lot of water, especially large fish. Most place will add fresh water to keep their sumps from running dry and will adjust the SG levels usually later in the day.

On a side note, I've gotten a number of fish from LA DD and the SG is always around 1.017.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's a pain acclimating these fish. I've tested SG as low as 1.014 on fish I've bought. Maybe low salinities can suppress ich, but unnaturally low salinities can only stress fish, which in turn, will leave them susceptible to just about anything.

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
thanks everyone....great info and getting a clearer picture.

If I understand correctly, most everyone agrees that slightly lower salinity is really bad for corals in particular......

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hi Triggerman - very interesting....just want to be fair to the LFS. I am very new to the hobby after so many years and I do believe the LFS mentioned this with good intention and enthusiam. May go back to see if they will elaborate or if I misunderstood. Could have been in refernce to a non reef set up........I am very curious myself to to run this by them again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: