Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have a 135 gallon tank with 2 overflows built in.

As it stands I have 2 durso stand pipes with the holes drilled on the tops.

My skimmer is an asm g2.

Should I drill another small hole on the durso? Will that silence it at all?

I feel like the noise is a constant flow of water and a slight gurgle. Also I hear alot of popping bubbles from my skimmer anything to quiet the asm down?

Is there a better pump to use on the asm g2?

Thnks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Slow the main return pump down or fix the plumbing..

Without seeing your system I would guess most of the noise is from air going down the durso then coming out of the pipe in the sump with a blub blub blub noise.

You want that pipe to be just barely out of the water and parallel (an elbow right at the outlet) to the water suface in your sump this does two things, by the pipe being under water it muffles almost all of the noise. Second since the pipe is not deep underwater and just barely out, any air that travels down the durso escapes the pipe without making noise.

Another thing you can do along with the above is widen the outlet at the sump so the water slows and dispates over a larger area instead of it all rushing out at one spot like the way a garden hose nozzle does.

Yet another thing to try is slow the pump and overflow down by installing some valves in each end.

At right around 800-1000 GPH its very hard to control noise unless the system is tuned very well, this is alot of water flow.

Take some pics and post them here if you can, might be able to help you in more detail if we could see it.

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ill also add that PVC is inherently noisy since its a brittle material especially with alot of 90 degree elbows in the system.

Using large diameter vinyl tubing with slight bends quiets the running water noise. If you get your system quiet enought this will be the last amount of water noise you will hear. After that you will only hear the slight hum of the pumps. :)

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
So I figured out the noise. It's when my pump is not throttled back coming from the anti-siphon holes. When I throttle it back a good amount the noise is less.

The water falls from the hole into the water in the overflow.

It was recolmmended to me to ball valve my drains.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ok when you copy the herbie design please post pics of the design to help those that are really not into reading thread back and forths on something that can be easily explained with a picture.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: