ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I picked up a mandarin today for my 75 that now only has two ocellaris clowns in it. When I went to the lfs I work at to change my list of fish I was ordering from them (to remove the mandarin) they had already placed the order and couldn't change it. The mandarin I have is a female. If the one i get in the order tomorrow is a male can i house them both together? If it is another female should I sell it? I wasn't sure if I could house two mandarins together in a 75 with 110 lbs of LR competing with a sand sifting star. I have alot of copepods and amphipods. Even though the tank is relatively young (5 months), I have seen more copepods and amphipods then in any of my other tanks. The mandarin I have now is stopping at every part of the glass and picking the tiny copepods that look like stars on the glass.

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Mandarins are best left on the reef. They seem to do well for a little while but then they deplete the number of pods in a tank to nothing and starve to death. Sometimes people can get them to eat frozen foods some people spend tons of money on bottled pods most are hard to get eating in captivity. If people stopped buying them then pet stores would stock them less and less.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
ZBT3091 It has already been stated that a wild caught mandarin will be hard to train to eat frozen foods but not impossible.
I had one for 4 years, and it ate mysis shrimp. It's a tough fish, feeding wise, to take care of but a wonder to watch.

Fyi - the mandarin has joined the list of captive bred fish,although a BIT more money than a wild one, much better decision. better fed , less disease and you won't be dooming the fish to certain death.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I tryed adding a second one into a 75 reef and the smaller orignal one picked on the BIGGER about three times the size and sadly the big one died and my other mandarin is happy alive and still well

good luck with either choice

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Love mandarins but never got one because I didn't want it to starve in my tank, however, if there are tank-raised mandarins that will eat mysis, then I am in. Who sells these tank-raised fish?

Eric

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
this is the website for the captive bred mandarin. they had a booth at macnaxx in atlanta where they had a display of some of the captive bred fish/ inverts in their catalog. one of the displays that caught attention was the seemingly empty tank which housed several tiny mandarins. It was truly remarkable to see. will try to post a pick when I find it.

http://www.marinebreeder.org/

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: