gkrane

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my LFS the other day and saw a 5" mantis shrip for sale. Very beautiful but not exactly the kind of thing anyone i know would wat to buy. Ive never been plagued by one of these thank god but i have friends who have had some slip by them and they said they were awful...Why would they sell them are they useful in some type of function...

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're very interesting and intelligent animals,I've kept one in it's own 5 gallon tank, they can be pests in a reef, but throw one in a small tank with a little rock, and its a neat simple tank, kinda like keeping a spider or lizard or such

reefworm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w/Matt - fascinating creatures in their own right. Hopefully your LFS warns people to keep them in a species-only tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 6" peacock mantis in a 6 gallon until a heat wave swept the area and she was killed by the 97 degree water...still makes me sad...

Anyway, they are frighteningly intelligent creatures...I littered the sandbed with rubble, and she built herself a cave...it was amazing to watch. I had the tank next to the computer, and she would sometimes swim around in circles in the corner near me just to get my attention.

To steal a quote from Jurassic Park :

"When she looks at you...you can see she's working things out."

A favorite animal of mine, to be sure...

Peace,

Chip

Joe_B

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp...gotta love em...best damn aquatic pet...a lot of fun...My 2 year old named the larger one Bubba!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: