xxfirewaterxx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
221   0   0
Good Morning, I'm very Sad that my Mappa Puffer died yesterday.....I purchased him Friday on my day off and acclimated him exactly how my LFS advised me: 20 minutes floating in my tank and then drip acclimate him in a bucket for about 1hr (2-3drops per second). After adding him to the tank he stayed near my LR for a few hours and turned black. His normal colors were very bright yellowish/white with stripes all over. After 3-4 hours passing by I threw in a nice sized shrimp that I soaked in ZOE and Garlic.....the triggers started eating it first and then the Mappa took a few bites and turned back to his normal color....... Saturday goes by and he is fine........Sunday goes by and he is fine.......Monday goes by and he is fine, he swims around a bit then stops near the rocks to sit. Tuesday morning before I go to work, I'm up at like 5:30am I turn the lights on and he is sitting like he normally does near the rocks until the lights go on then he starts moving......I throw in some Mysis Shrimps so the triggers can get their breakfast before I go to work.....I get off from work around 3:30, sometime around 4pm I turn the lights on in the tank so I can add some food......everything seems normal even my new golden puffer is swimming around that I just got from Will Fung....... I add some nice sized shrimps and turn the lights off......like 30 minutes later I see my Mappa Puffer all big like a huge softball! I did not see anything messing with him, the tank on each end has the water head outlets that blow out water and he seemed to have got caught in the current and was going around in circles still blown up like a softball. I turned off the pump and he slowly sank to the bottom, I made sure I kept the lights off and waited for him to release all the water from being puffed up.....He was puffed up for awhile maybe like 45 minutes......I decided to stick my Aqua tongs near him to see if he would move and he was dead.....still kind of puffed up like. Checked my ammonia/nitrite and it was perfect......ph is around 8.2 close to 8.4.......temp is about 78-79 deg........My nitrate is close to perfect dark yellow....

What could have caused this? He cost me about 300$ and I'm disappointed.......waited awhile to get a mappa like that, he was about 5-6".....all my other fishes are fine and eating healthy. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
... I'm up at like 5:30am I turn the lights on and ...get their breakfast before I go to work.....I get off from work around 3:30, sometime around 4pm I turn the lights on in the tank so I can add some food... Maybe I'm doing something wrong??
I don't think this is your puffer problem, but, what kind of lighting schedule is that?...every 12 hours the lights are back on and it's time to eat! That can't be good for their metabolism.

xxfirewaterxx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
221   0   0
I don't think this is your puffer problem, but, what kind of lighting schedule is that?...every 12 hours the lights are back on and it's time to eat! That can't be good for their metabolism.

I usually leave the lights on while I'm at work, and from time to time I go home on my lunch breaks to check on the fishes. I work only 10 min away from my house.... I should have been more clear on this but I have the daytime bulbs and the blue bulbs and moonlights. I leave the blue lighting on in the mornings until my lunch breaks, but once in awhile that will be on until 3:30 depending if I could not make it home. I turn on the whole lighting once I get home until around 9-10 when I start to get ready for sleep.

Schedule:
5:30am- moonlights are on.......I turn on the bluelighting and leave on
12-1pm usually go home to look at my fish....add mysis etc...
3:45-410pm get home and turn all lights on both blue and daytime.....
9-10pm lights off but moonlights on.

Sometimes I may rush out without turning the bluelights on, but that doesnt happen to often. Is my lighting schedule ok? Should I make some changes? Hope I made this more clear......so much can be left out when typing..

xxfirewaterxx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
221   0   0
i'm not an expert but maybe turning the lights on and off

I thought I was making it less stressful for him by turning the lights off......He was stuck in the puffed up state and was getting pushed by the current.

Good to see the different opinions....I will try to adapt better the next time I notice anything odd. Thanks

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
yea, consistency is the key...radioshack has digital timers on clearance (just bought a spare on) they cost like $10

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: