DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just got 4 clams from the fragswap today from the same vendor and 2 look fine but i think the third may have died before I put it in the tank. As soon as I put it in my cleaner shrimp started tearing into it and one of my nasarus snails came out to join the party as well as a few hermits. It does not close when I touch it and the mantle looks messed up. Is it dead??? If so I need to get it out before It my water gets messed up. Please HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited:

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
clams r most vulnerable when acclimating n may excrete mucus which attracts scavengers to attack. next time, try acclimating them in a protected area 1st.

I recall someone saying the same thing, except they'd put a new clam in their tank, their copperband, who had previously shown no interest in any Tridactnas in the tank -- it savaged it, ate it, and then went on to the rest.

...Of course, it could also be that the clam was half-dead and just didn't look it until it was pushed over the edge by the stress of acquisition and acclimation.

So, yeah. it might be a good idea to chuck new clams in your fuge first for a day or two.

Sucks you lost the clam, whether or not it was dead or just pretending. You might want to fire a note off to the vendor; they may replace it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: