Hey guys so I have been wondering about this parameter lately simply because I have the empty slot on my controller and I was really curious to find out what it is used for. What does ORP tell you about the tank? I know there are a few other threads on these but the most recent one was from 4 years ago so I wanted to see if there was any updated knowledge on this. Thanks in advance, Fortunato

sig45

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I recently added ORP monitoring to RFK Elite controller. My system had a problem when some algae died off abruptly lost about 5 SPS and stn'd another. ORP was in 80's. After water changes, GFO & carbon changes ORP at high of 442 today. Corals all look great and have new growth. My observation is that over 300 is preferred by my system but I've read that is speculative & system dependent.
I think it is just another way to confirm the water quality in a system beyond naked eye. I don't use ozone or UV and it appears that high ORP is obtainable without these measures.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: