Bori

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever experienced this with their leather corals? I had an very agressive Maroon Clown in the main tank that took to this particular devil's hand. He was relentless with it until the polyps stopped opening up. I've since put the clown in the sump but the devil's hand has begun to melt or drop it's lobes. Now the lobes (3 and counting) that dropped have attached themselves to rock and appear to be thriving. Polyps open up and looks robust and a nice green hue, but the "parent" doesn't look so good. I have various other softies, shrooms and Zoas that are looking great. Should I remove the devil's hand or let it be. I planning to add lps soon and read that softies in this state are toxic to hard corals.
Lighting is 250W 12k reeflux mh
Flow is "turbulent"
ph= 8.5-8.6
Ca= 450-500
sg=1.025
79-81*f
alk=9.92
Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A pic of the parent leather would be helpful :)

Mixed reefs are possible, and good husbandry plays a large part in the ones that are thriving. The aggressive use of carbon also helps remove the toxins from the leathers.

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have 2 devil's hand leathers and whenever they seem to get pissed off they turn a dark brown and shrivel up. Once they feel better about themselves they seem to bounce right back again untill the next time they are feeling moody.

Bori

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry KathyC, no pics just yet. I'll borrow my son's camera when he gets back. But it's like the fingers wither away at the base & a stub drops off and attaches to live rock & propogates itself from there. The parent still looks "stocky" at the base but all the fingers are dropping off :frown:. I've upgraded the tank to house lps in the near future but am reluctant to add any while this is going on.
get pissed off they turn a dark brown and shrivel up
Dj Orion, this coral has done the same, when lites out basically but since being stressed by the MC it took a turn for the worse.

Bob, no STD's here, I hope ;)

Bori

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK FINALLY... was able to get some pics. Please excuse the poor quality as they do suck lol. Anyway Seems that my Maroon clown wasn't the only one stressing my devil's hand. Looks like my PBT also took a liking to it. It has since dropped 3 lobes that look ok. You can see one that attached itself in the second pic. But the parent looks like S!@#. Do you think I should remove it or let it be. I included pics of the other softies I have that appear to be doing good. Like I stated I want to add lps soon, but won't until I'm sure there's no problem in the tank.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

These are doing good...

IMG_0073-1.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0023-1.jpg

Thanks for looking --Rob--

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: