jetthril

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I just installed a new Mag 9.5 pump as an in line pump for my Solana tank. It takes the water from the back sump and pumps through the chiller and returns to the display side of the tank. Only problem is: there is micro-bubbles everywhere in my tank.

What can I do to remedy this situation:banghead: Can anyone help?

jetthril

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I would double check all the fittings and connections if its pulling any kind of air will cause micro bubbles. it could also be just needs to run there is alot of surface area in the chillier to hold air bubbles.

Thanks for the tip Rambler67. I went back and checked on the in take and exit tubes, looks like there is a lot of micro bubble coming out of the exit tube.

I think the intake tube fitting is too small and is allowing area to slip between the cracks into the tubing. I will try to get a new intake fitting tomorrow.

jetthril

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I change the barb fitting on the intake to allow a very tight fit against the tubing. Micro bubbles are still being spewed out. I guess I'll let it be for a week or two, and hope it will go away.

Will the micro bubbles negatively affect the health of the corals?

I have some SPS and LPS, and softies(so far I see no negative reactions from the softies)? The LPS corals seem to be slimed up a bit with bubbles, and the SPS do not have much polyp extensions.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If you are not supplying the pump with enough water then you could be starving the pump and the bubbles could be caused by cavitation. If this is the cause, the air bubbles will never stop.

Coralreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change the barb fitting on the intake to allow a very tight fit against the tubing. Micro bubbles are still being spewed out. I guess I'll let it be for a week or two, and hope it will go away.

Will the micro bubbles negatively affect the health of the corals?

I have some SPS and LPS, and softies(so far I see no negative reactions from the softies)? The LPS corals seem to be slimed up a bit with bubbles, and the SPS do not have much polyp extensions.

Sorry to hear about your problem regarding micro bubbles. IMO, micro bubbles are not much of an issue! They aid in gas transfer and the addition of dissolved oxygen to your water.
The downsides to this are minimal as the clarity of your water is diminished somewhat, and the bubbles may pose a salt creep issue on your lighting and tank cover. As far as livestock is concerned, if you have sponges and tunicates or Tridacna Clams, you could potentially witness problems as air in their cells is difficult for them to expell.

jetthril

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Thanks Coralreefer1 for the insight on the impact of micro bubbles on animal health, I was worried because my acan kept on sliming, and I didn't think that could be good for the animal in the long run ( how will it make up the energy lost in producing the slime) I do have some yellow sponges sitting at the corner of my tank, and I don't want to kill them with the bubbles.

Imbarrie, you were correct about the cavitation issue. I disconnected the input pipe, and put the Mag 9.5 in the back sump of my solana. All the micro bubbles are gone, thank you so much for your help! Problem solved for now.

I noticed the screws they used for Mag 9.5 are metal, now will this be an issue in a saltwater sump? Will the screws rust? What are others' experiences with Mag 9.5 pumps as in sump pumps?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Glad this helped you track it down.

There really are no good reasons to use metal in a marine tank long term. Som reefers have posted problems with these screws but it could be from a cheap batch.
Mag pumps are very common, but they are not very good considering the low cost alternatives. It would be a good idea to retire this one as soon as you can and keep for a back up. I used to run two but they have been replaced as the posts started breaking on mine.

jetthril

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Glad this helped you track it down.

There really are no good reasons to use metal in a marine tank long term. Som reefers have posted problems with these screws but it could be from a cheap batch.
Mag pumps are very common, but they are not very good considering the low cost alternatives. It would be a good idea to retire this one as soon as you can and keep for a back up. I used to run two but they have been replaced as the posts started breaking on mine.

In your opinion, what is a good in sump pump?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Well, we would all like Ehiem.

I currently have a Triton 3 on my 75 and I am happy with it.
My new tank will be sporting a Marineland Maxi-Jet 5500.
I have not used it yet but will probably water test this weekend so I will know more. Masterswimmer highly recommends those.

WilFresco

Master Debator
Rating - 97.8%
88   2   0
Thanks Coralreefer1 for the insight on the impact of micro bubbles on animal health, I was worried because my acan kept on sliming, and I didn't think that could be good for the animal in the long run ( how will it make up the energy lost in producing the slime) I do have some yellow sponges sitting at the corner of my tank, and I don't want to kill them with the bubbles.

Imbarrie, you were correct about the cavitation issue. I disconnected the input pipe, and put the Mag 9.5 in the back sump of my solana. All the micro bubbles are gone, thank you so much for your help! Problem solved for now.

I noticed the screws they used for Mag 9.5 are metal, now will this be an issue in a saltwater sump? Will the screws rust? What are others' experiences with Mag 9.5 pumps as in sump pumps?

Yea u might wanna change the screws out on the mag, u can buy the same screws in plastic at home depot

jetthril

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well, we would all like Ehiem.

I currently have a Triton 3 on my 75 and I am happy with it.
My new tank will be sporting a Marineland Maxi-Jet 5500.
I have not used it yet but will probably water test this weekend so I will know more. Masterswimmer highly recommends those.
Thanks, I'll keep these in mind. As you know, Solana has very limited sump space. For my next tank I'd like to have a real sump. And I'll check out these recommended pumps! Thanks for all your help! It was so frustrating trying to deal with all the micro bubbles, I'm so glad you can help me solve this problem!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: