charlie1225

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have a question for anyone that can help. The more pictures I see of Milleporas, the more I feel mine aren't normal. I have receive Millepora frags from numerous MR members and when I received them, the polyps were long and waving. Weeks or months later, polyps are still showing, but much shorter. Does anyone know why this occurs in my tank? Water parameters are as follows:

SG: 1.025
pH: Between 8.30 and 8.45
Calcium: 390
kH: 3.5
Phosphates: Undetectable
Nitrate: 0.5ppm

That's all I really test for.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have experienced the same thing over the years. I've noticed the originating tanks fed their fish more than me. Also when AEFW infested my millis PE was poor. I would definitely do a dip for AEFW's. It's hard to see the classic bite marks on millis

Last edited:

salt-rookie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alkalinity is a bit low, should be in a range between 7-11 dKH. My millies are huge and have PE that looks like hsircuts in the 1960's I do feed golden pearls a couple of times a week, but skim agressively when I feed. I do this so the foos "passes through" the water column. Millies are also generally the first to be hit by polyp nippers. What fish do you have? Are you watching for nipping? Then there is always nocturnal nipping. Do you have Red Bugs? That could account for the reduction of PE. Take some macro shots, download them to your computer and zoom in. They look like Chickenpox. I hope this helps.

charlie1225

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I had eliminated Red Bugs as a possibility as I don't think I have them and I also don't think they affect Millepora's. I may look into the Alk. As for the livestock in my tank:

Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Green Chromis
Bengaii Cardinals
Purple Firefish
False Percula Clowns
Purple Pseudochromis

Any other ideas?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: