• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kronikwisdom

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about modifying my current usa 30'' orbit system. It currently has 2x65w and a few moon lights. I'm thinking of replacing the metal inside w/ some type of aluminum? That can be modified to hold 3x65w pc bulbs. I have a retrofit kit w/ a 65w and all the parts but do you think it would get too hot inside the unit? There is a large fan on one side and the lights don't seem to get too hot. Suggestions?!?

Yes, I realise modifying the unit is to most unnecessary, but I'm strapped for cash and would like a little more light. MH is the next move, but not until my taxes..

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave the unit in tact and buy a piece of pine to mount the single light to. Mount the aluminum to that and voila! You have a third light and an orbit fixture that you can RESELL when you get the MH you want in the future. It may not look real pretty but it is just temporary. Right?

To answer your question. I doubt that it would get too hot.

kronikwisdom

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, yes that would look ugly, but I already drilled a hole in the back of the unit, realigned the lights inside and they fit fine. The moonlights were moved to the front. Although the resale value has dropped it looks better and it should work for the short time.. thanks again...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: