BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
So in the process of selling off my coral I had some SPS that needed to go. 1 colony was a blue tenuis colony I had for a while, small but didnt want to babysit it for a year, so I put it on craigslist. Picture and Tenuis, thats it. A guy called me and asked a few questions but didnt by it. 2 months later I put the same pic up and called it "Smurf Legs" and THE SAME DAME GUY CALLED ME! I invited him over my house, he looked at it and bought it. I told him I made up that name but he didnt care. I'm really starting to question if people collect names or looks, but as long as they take care of it I guess thats all that matters.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
We are suckers and sometimes idiots in the name game

Name the coral appropirate such as Grade A blue tenius for a legitimate bright blue or truly unique blue and it wont garnish as much interest

Name that same piece something really dumb and we the suckers come marching in to fight over it.

More than one "high end" retailer has a treasure chest full of stories to tell their friends and family at gatherings.

You bought a tenius colony at the wholesaler, chopped it up, renamed it something stupid and sold each 1"frag for a 2000% profit.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Some hobbyists even proclaimni loyalty to some of these retailers that are the primary reason for the name game.

I have read the posts, xyz retailer you are my God, you are the Master

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I don't know if your being sarcastic to me or not, but he got the piece at ten dollars an inch not 100, which I might as is prob less than I paid. Yeah I'm the guy selling australomussa that go for 3-500 for 90 bucks

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Ok lol I have a difficult time interpreting text messages sometimes. I saw online that somebody sold 1 POLYP of an SPS a for over $100,,, no bull!! I was making sure nobody thought I was one of those guys

JuanSalgado

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
54   6   0
A lot of people don't know what they buying. It's kind of hard to know when so many corals, whether its LPS or SPS look alike. Most of the names of these items are from people in the hobby trying to be creative but a lot of people do buy because of the name. It's big in Zoas and SPS for sure. With the right name someone will spend big money, to then go home and in a few weeks or so for it to turn green and brown or fade out. You can make a lot of money in that market.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I know, in case nobody seen it on Facebook, try to join "STFU Auction". It's all high end coral, really really nice stuff, they auction the Walt Disney Acro there every day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: