Beaker

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hi-fin Cardnals had some babies about 45 days ago and none of them survived....but this time i was prepared
icon_smile.gif

babies201.jpg

babies202.jpg

babies203.jpg

these were born about an hour ago...theres about 20 of them....maybe more to come if the male (pictured above) spits more out.

I think these are very pre mature. I noticed the male stopped feeding around august 10th leaving the babies only 18 days when he is supposed to hold them in his mouth for 25-28 days.

He spit them out in a panic when i caught him in the net.....i didnt expect him to spit them out today, so i just started the brine shirmp eggs on the hatching process to start feeding them....i hope they dont starve in the mean time
icon_sad.gif

-Beaker

Spikehs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Nice pics of the banggais, i myself are trying to breed them, but no luck....yet..got a pic of the male and female? when he's not holding eggs? i would love to see it to try and see some difrences! how long were they in captivity before they started breeding? How big were they when you put them in, and when you started breeding them? thanks.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, great pictures! Nice full bellies, good sign. I raise my babies in the refugium and add artemia, plankton and rotifiers, but I mainly see the babies picking through the hair algae
icon_mad.gif
for pods and things.

Best of luck!

Mitch

hreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are so cute! I have had a second batch of babies. My first was only 6. Now I have 33 babies that are 3 weeks old in a 5 gallon, I have not lost one Baby. They love to eat! I still am having to hatch baby brine, I am trying to get them to eat a variety of food. With 33 babies I have to do a partial water change so that the ammonia level will not rise. They grow so fast. Good Luck. If you need additional Info on Baby Bangers Frank Marini has a very informative site. Good Luck Holly http://www.eparc.com/banggai/fmarini/marsh_banggai.htm

kaotica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a great pic! congrats on the newborns
icon_smile.gif
if you want to send some this way,I have 2 tanks that wouldn't mind some Banggais
icon_biggrin.gif

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realise how cute dinky fish look, and they are certainly dinks. ahhhhhhhh, you must be proud, best of luck with raising the little mites.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Have you given them names yet... he he.

LeoR

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, Beaker.
Keep us posted.

May I ask where did you find that fine-mesh container? Looks perfect for one of my breeding projects.

Thanks,

LeoR

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and great pictures....
Do you have more? can you send them to me?
From the looks of the breeder net setup i take it you had a chance to read my Breeders registry article?
So being prepared means you've got your baby brine enriched w/ selcon ready to roll?
The EPARC.com site has some excellent articles on how-to http://www/eparc.com/banggai/banggai.html

Congrats again and feel free to email me if you have any Q?
frank
PS About those picts i really am interested in gettin some more ([email protected])

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right... another idea as well...
you might want to search the archive at the breeders forum at reefcentral.com, there has been alot of banggai breeding activity and many have posted alternative food sources for banggers (thats my term for baby banggai), including a dead prepared food (some type of fish roe) which appears to be a useful alternative to baby brine.
Just a thought
frank

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: FMarini ]

Jimmy G

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Beaker,
What do you have the Babies in? Is it inside the tank?
My pair of Bangaii's also bred and I lost them all. I think the male is holding some more as I speak. I would love to try to save some this time.
BTW Congrats and Nice Pics!
icon_smile.gif

houston

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago, I looked into the tank after the lights came on and saw that the male banggai had spit out some of his fry - only his second attempt to carry! They were in the LT anemone's tenacles, carefully avoiding actually touching them. I had a heck of a time getting them out - resorting to using the old gravel vacuum siphon to suck them into a net in the sump.

I picked up a section of 1/2" diameter rigid tubing and a 6' section of flex tubing. Also, picked up a breeder net. I used the tubes, joined together, to suck the rest of the fry out of the LTA's vicinity over the next few days as they were spit out into the reef. This gadget has worked out great.

I kept the first clutch confined in the breeder net in the refugium and got a second net for the next clutch. I decided to let the larger ones loose because I was tired of cleaning the bottom of the net. One of the little guys made it through a hole in their net and wasn't molested, so I let those go as well. All are doing well, eating frozen daphnia and flake.

I feed new fry frozen artemia. All gorge on the other hatchlings that come from the reef - bar goby, clown, shrimp, pod, and crab fry. These food sources are small enough to get through the netting on the b-net.

One thought - if you want to use the b-net to raise your banggai, you might want two. Use a stock b-net for the first week while you feed the smaller foods. Switch in the second week to a second, modified b-net where the bottom of the net has been cut out and a wedding veil netting section has been sewn in. This will allow the nasty crud to fall through and feed the sand bed and corals.

Have fun!
icon_smile.gif

Beaker

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last night when i put the fish to sleep (turned off the lights) all the bangers were there, happlily swimming in the new artificial plant i bought them.

I woke up this moring to find every single one of them was gone
icon_sad.gif
icon_mad.gif

there is no holes in the net and the water levels is lower then the top of the net.

i had left the father in the net just in case he still had more babies in his mouth. I was going to remove him this morning when i woke up. ...but i fed him and hes eating so hes not holding anything in his mouth.

im really bummed and depressed about this...i dont know where they went.....i scanned my whole 55 gallon tank for them and they are no where to be found...not even in the anemones.

if it possible for a starved male to eat his own fry?

FMarini: Yes, I studied all of your articles on breeding bangers and found it all helpful up until this point.

-Beaker

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beaker:
ummmm. Maybe you missed this point in one of the articles...the adult males will eat their babies....i suspect if you have no more fry in the net...=^( then we have someone to blame
frank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: